Final stocking options – 20G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TOMatt

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fish-in cycle finished about 10 days ago, with 6 Dwarf Spotted Danios. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates consistently 5ppm. They're all happy and healthy. I did 25% PWCs daily until last weekend.

A week ago I added 4 Peppered Cory Cats. The levels haven’t changed at all. Still 0/0/5, checked every day with an API Master Test Kit. I've done two 25% PWCs since then just to ensure the water was fresh and clean.

Tonight I’m planning to pick up a blue Dwarf Gourami, they’ve got a bunch of really nice ones at my local LFS and my wife really likes them.

After this, I’m debating between either 1 Red Platy with 6 Neon Tetras, or 3 Red Platies. I know if I buy 3 Platies that they should be 2 females and 1 male. After that, it will be fully stocked with schooling and non-schooling fish, colour and dull species, and top/middle/bottom-level fish.

What are your thoughts on this stock? Any opinions on whether to go with the 1 Platy with Tetras or just 3 Platies?

I’m also going to buy a new Nitrate tester, I’m a little wary because it’s been consistently reading 5ppm EVERY DAY. My plants are all plastic and silk, and I have a feeling that the Nitrates should be going up...

ps. Thanks for all the advice and helpful threads - AquariumAdvice has been invaluable in my getting the aquarium up and running. :)

greetings.

i have both red neon tetras and red platy wagtails, and i'd go with platies over neon tetras any day.

while the neon tetras are pretty to look at, they don't do much other than quietly swim about. platies are more interactive with the tank from my experience, and to me that is more compelling.

also, platies breed rather easily.

Depending on what your looking for...imo platy's are active but are POOP MACHINES indeed...I had 2f and 1m......took male and 1 f back to lfs..I kept one f and she had babies... once a female is prego she will keep having babies w/o a male present....platy's hold sperm....i also have the tetras...they are not as active but they are nice to have and bring color variation to the tank...

I would do one platy and the 6 neons.

What filtration do you have?

Are you using the API kit? If so, make sure you shake and bang both nitrate bottles for 30 seconds (this loosens up the reagent powder) and then make sure you add the drops in the correct order to the tube (bottle #1 first, then #2) then shake the tube VIGOROUSLY for 60 seconds and then wait 5 minutes for the result. If not done correctly it can cause false readings.

Thanks for the opinions, I'm still torn. Luckily i've got at least a couple of weeks to decide.
3 Platies would be simpler, more bold-looking. The school of Tetras might be too much chaos. And my LFS has told me they'll take all the babies that appear. They're on my walk to work, so there's no real trouble there.
But maybe a bright red/blue school would add some fun... lol

LibraryGirl,
I've got two Aquaclear 20s running. I was doing everything right with the API kit. I didn't start using the new Nitrate test yet, but used the old one last night. The Nitrates had gone up to 20 so I did another 25% PWC. I guess it just took that long to adjust to the Cories and Dwarf Gourami. I'm still testing daily until I get my aquarium fully stocked, and doing water changes whenever needed.

Thanks everyone. And more opinions are very welcome. :D

Thanks Charlie. Swordtails seem pretty similar to Platies, but apparently a little less lively. Any other major differences?

A friend also suggested African Dwarf Frogs. How do you think a pair of them would fit with 1 Platy/Swordtail, 6 Dwarf Spotted Danios, 4 Peppered Cory Cats, and a Dwarf Gourami?

So many options, lol

The ADF would do better be themselves, or with really peaceful fish that do not have long tails. The danios would harass the frogs since the are slow and have poor eye site. They also starve a lot because they are slow eaters. I have never kept them, but that is what I have picked up on reading about them. Hehe
So I would say no.

What all do you have in the tank right now? I am confused.. Lol. If you tell me I could make some suggestions :)

swordtails is just a variant of platies. they get larger though.

The ADF would do better be themselves, or with really peaceful fish that do not have long tails. The danios would harass the frogs since the are slow and have poor eye site. They also starve a lot because they are slow eaters. I have never kept them, but that is what I have picked up on reading about them. Hehe
So I would say no.

What all do you have in the tank right now? I am confused.. Lol. If you tell me I could make some suggestions :)

Hey,
The feeding was one concern. That actually might be the no-ADF decider.

Right now i've got 6 Dwarf Spotted Danios, 4 Peppered Cory Cats, and 1 Dwarf Gourami in an over-filtered 20G tank. Reasonably planted with fakes, and quite a few caves/leafy hiding places. According to the aqadvisor calculation, i'm at 87% capacity. Any of the mentioned options would put me within 5% above or below their recommended capacity.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm discovering some on my own, but a lot of the recommendations are pretty interesting. Right now the Corys and Danios are whipping around the tank, a blur of browns, greys, and silver (in the danios). The Dwarf Gourami is a vibrant blue, but somehow gets camoflagued with the backdrop.

Back
Top Bottom