***Final Update*** My shopping list!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've done all the research I can possibly do (actually, I'm kinda lazy so maybe I haven't) :wink:

I've put together a preliminary list of goodies I will need for the 75g. Of course, I'm very interested in bargains, discounts or other essentials that I may have forgotten:

Tank/Aquarium w/stand & light-hood All-Glass
AquaClear 110 HOB
Heater - 200w (brand not determined)
Thermometer (digital) inside
substrate (planted tank variety - open to discussion)

Anyone with suggestions, thoughts, donations...please feel free!

Thanks.

:D OK Bill. Here comes my bias. Two things not to skimp on. A heater and filter. I'd go with a cannister filter just because they're so versatile and quiet. A fluval 404 is a great one for your tank and can be bought for a song on line. The same for a good quality heater. I use 2 heaters in my larger tanks (just in case one fails). The rule of thumb is 5 watts per gallon so you'll need a total of 375 watts of heaters for a 75.

Any substrate will do. I prefer to keep the grain size to around 2mm. for planted tanks.

I've done all the research I can possibly do (actually, I'm kinda lazy so maybe I haven't)

BrianNY said:
OK Bill. Here comes my bias

Precisely why I come to AA! Made an error with the heater...have no idea why I posted just one 200w heater when I meant to say "2 200w heaters".

Canister duly noted :D

I second the reccomendation for the canister. One AC 110 would do you ok, but not near as well as the canister.

I have a visitherm (300 watts, I think) submersible heater, that is awesome. Definitley get a reputable heater, you will be much happier in the long run.

For substrate, something fine around 2 mm, as Brian said.

Two votes for the canister, two votes for the 300w heaters and two votes for 2mm substrate

Okay...issue settled on the above items. If anyone has a decent link for the Fluval (the cheapest I've seen it so far is $110.00 avg). I checked eBay, tons of em' there...just never trusted eBay, so I'd rather not go there).

Thanks again. :D

I have personally never used the fluval but have heard that alot of people have had problem with them. Bit I think it's like anything... ...some love it others hate it. I have had my xp3 for 5 weeks now and it's doing good by me. Also, instead of a traditional heater, what about an inline heater? Out of sight and I've heard they keep the water temp very steady. I just got a digi therm, and love it. The little cord can't be seen in the tank. I actually have a normal one on one side and the digi one runs to the other side but I read both at the same location and I can see what the temp is on either side at the same time.

3 votes for canister
1 vote for inline
3 votes for gravel
1 extra vote for digi therm.

Nice choices...

i am running a 55 gal cichlid tank right now that i have an AC 500(same as 110) and a fluval 404 on...i will be moving both of these filters over to my 75 when i finally get one...i am loving the fluval 404...u have so much more control over it...its great...and definately get 2 filters, that way, when you have to replace or clean media from one, you still have the other going...also good for beneficial bacteria...

another thing i will do is probably get an inline heater...i like when things are not seen...

as far as gravel, really depends on ur fish...my mbuna cichlid tank has sand...the little guys love digging around in them...wow...u should see how often they move switch around the aquascape...

i like the idea of the digi therm...

so that's
4 votes for canister
2 votes for inline
neutral vote for gravel
2 votes for digi therm

Another fluval vote, another 300W hydor in line heater vote! They were $50 but I have seen them on sale for about $40 lately.

I would buy a 2 liter bottle of seachem matrix bio-media, some floss, and some fluval ceramic prefilter noodles if you go with a canister. The fluval comes with four baskets, enough media to put some in eaach basket but not fill them. I run the fluval ceramic pre-filter in basket 1 ( about one box fills a basket), then some floss in basket 2, then two baskets of bio-substrate. This gives me a coarse sponge, the course ceramic mechanical noodles, then floss mechanical, then two baskets with a mixture of the fluval ceramic bio noodles and the seachem bio substrate. I chose seachem matrix substrate cuz its cheaper than the rest. You won't use up 2L, but it is always great to have extra bio-substrate on hand. I would buy the bio substrate for your HOB too, even if you skip the canister.

Decorations. tilll you get the plants going.

Make sure your test kit isn't gonna run out halfway through the cycle.

Python spare parts, extentions etc if needed(since you are ordering).

airline, airstones, air pumps if you need since you are ordering (so much cheaper online)

food, since you are ordering.

suction cups for heaters, airline etc if needed, since you are ordering.

any nets, glass scrapers etc. you need, might as well piggy back on the order.

Good luck, sounds like fun. You've got that new tank feeling!

I just returned from "window shopping" at a LFS that I swore I'd never visit again :evil:

They surprised me. I got price quotes on the following equipment:

Tank/Hood w/lights/Wood stand - $420.00

This is the lowest price quote I've recieved thus far. This leaves me with some extra funds to purchase the remaining equipment.

By the way, buyers remorse had almost taken over. It's over thanks to some dear friends. :D

Buyers remorse for what? You're getting a great tank at a great price? In a few weeks the pain of paying will be all over. Relax and enjoy because it will bring you years of pleasure.

BTW. If I see you and the Mrs hitch hiking on the LIE, I will pick both up. :lol: :lol:

Thanks Brian...I guess you're the only member who recognized the cure for buyers remorse. :D The last time that actually happened was when I purchased my home. LOL

Jchillin said:
Thanks Brian...I guess you're the only member who recognized the cure for buyers remorse. :D The last time that actually happened was when I purchased my home. LOL

I hear ya Bill. Buying a home is just another way of taking a stress test. :lol:

Not sure if I'm too late here but yet another vote for a canister and in-line heater.
I recently set-up a 70 gallon using a Rena XP3 and Hydor 300w in-line. The 300w seems to be more than sufficient as the temp in the tank matches the setting on the heater and the heater does not stay on all that much.
Got both of these on-line for good deals......95.99 for the XP3 and 43.99 for the Hydor. The only 'gotcha' is that I had to spend an extra $30 on bio-media!

Alan

Well...after much consideration and thinking, the canister is approved! Here's the reason why:

Besides the filtration, a canister will save me 4 to 5 inches of floor space. How did I arrive at that number? HOB elimination. I had totally forgotten about leaving space for the HOB, which pushed my footprint from 18" to 22". Since I cannot go over my pre-determined 18" footprint, canister is essential (or, I go back to 55g).

If there is something I do not realize about the canister in regard to the footprint, please let me know.

BTW - It took about 3 months to "get over" the remorse. That was in part due my stupidity in re-reading the mortgage... :wink:

Besides the filtration, a canister will save me 4 to 5 inches of floor space. How did I arrive at that number? HOB elimination. I had totally forgotten about leaving space for the HOB, which pushed my footprint from 18" to 22". Since I cannot go over my pre-determined 18" footprint, canister is essential (or, I go back to 55g).
The hoses need some room to get up to the tank in the back, unless you run the hoses up the side. But they would show more unless one side is near a wall. Also, if you are going to use the in line heater, it is rather thick, at about 3 inches thick. Since it must be verticle to prevent air trapping inside it, it will likely have to fit between the stand/ tank and wall. It is long too, about 10 inches, so that it probably won't fit above the canister under the stand.

I have my stand 2.5 inches from the wall at its nearest (the lip that the tank is on) and the cabinet back is 3 inches from the wall. Makes working on the plumbing rather tight, but I did it. Got the in line heater in there too.

Yep...gotta leave a bit of room but not really much. Mines pretty much the same as Tom's. Stand is 2.5 inches away from the wall and the tank is 3.25 inches. The heater is pretty much wedged between the tank and wall (tight fit) but I can still get it out if I have to.
I'm glad the XP3 appears to be doing the job as I wouldn't have room to add a HOB....it would have to be a HOS or HOF!

Back
Top Bottom