Finally!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Finally!

My nitrites are reading 0.0ppm. The second round of nitrifying bacteria have finally colonized. Fishless cycle is finally ending and I can finally stock some fish!

50 gallon, moderately planted, going for a few Angels, a school of neons, some corys, and an algae eater or two.

I had to share my excitement.

-cfrank

Well ok, two small plecos are good:)

Chinese algae eaters get huge and get agressive, no no in a tank

It is SO awesome to be at this point! We were right there with you a couple weeks ago. It was very nice to be able to add our fish with the peace of mind that doing so wouldn't cause wacky water levels in a week or 2. I don't think my lfs employee really believed me when I told him we had done a "fishless cycle". He wanted to test my water a week after we bought the first round of fish. It was great to "prove" to him that our water was indeed perfect a week after adding fish.

It is SO awesome to be at this point! We were right there with you a couple weeks ago. It was very nice to be able to add our fish with the peace of mind that doing so wouldn't cause wacky water levels in a week or 2. I don't think my lfs employee really believed me when I told him we had done a "fishless cycle". He wanted to test my water a week after we bought the first round of fish. It was great to "prove" to him that our water was indeed perfect a week after adding fish.

Really inspires trust in your lfs, eh? It is a little badly timed, though. Ideally, I would have liked to stock tomorrow, but I have orientation for grad school tomorrow and thus will have to wait until later in the week, possibly the weekend :/ I guess if I've waited this long, a few more days won't hurt!

The neons are food for the angels right?...

Because they will be.

Haha nope. I'm starting with small, juvenile angels that won't be big enough to harass the tetras. By the time they are big enough to cause problems, the tank will be very grown in and will give the tetras plenty of hiding places. Besides, I've never had trouble housing the two species together before. As long as the angels are well-fed, then they have been quite peaceful tankmates (assuming there isn't a pair that is attempting to breed).

Go big or go home with the algae eaters! I have 5 plecos and 2 SAEs in my 55g tank :)

Haha nope. I'm starting with small, juvenile angels that won't be big enough to harass the tetras. By the time they are big enough to cause problems, the tank will be very grown in and will give the tetras plenty of hiding places. Besides, I've never had trouble housing the two species together before. As long as the angels are well-fed, then they have been quite peaceful tankmates (assuming there isn't a pair that is attempting to breed).

Haha yeah just warning you.

I have octo cats, cories, and a panda garra garra as my scavengers in my 30 gall

Back
Top Bottom