Finally have Nitrites!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I FINALLY have nitrites!!!! I may be a little to excited about this lol, but oh well, just happy I finally have them!!! This makes day 3 of the beginning of the 4th week of my fish in cycle. Results from today are
Ammo: .5ppm
Nitrites: .5ppm
Nitrates 0ppm
pH: 8

That I have! I was shaking the tube and I took a peak at it and when I saw it was purple I got real excited and said yay pretty loud... My husband laughed at me when I told him what I was so excited about haha.

Believe it or not, you will soon be hoping for it to be blue again. And you will do more than just say "yay" when they hit zero again. I did a dance.:dance:

Oh I know! Next will be waiting to see a different color than yellow for nitrates then I'll go back to wanting to see blue for nitrites again. Just glad to
finally see purple, now I know for sure my cycle is moving along slowly but surely!

Yeah, when nitrAtes start rising, then you really get excited! My nitrite>nitrate conversion took about 2 weeks, but the typical conversion is 3 weeks, I believe. I was using a bacteria supplement, though, so that sped it up a bit.

Yeah, when nitrAtes start rising, then you really get excited! My nitrite>nitrate conversion took about 2 weeks, but the typical conversion is 3 weeks, I believe. I was using a bacteria supplement, though, so that sped it up a bit.

What bacteria supplement? In fish in cycles how often should you change water?

When doing a fish in cycle you change water as needed, ammonia and nitrites should ideally be kept below .25ppm while cycling, once the tank is cycled you keep nitrates as low as possible, but anything under 20ppm is safe for fish in cycling. I've had to do once a day changes have sufficed for me, but you change as often as you need too going by your water params.

Yay! How exciting for you! I'm still waiting for mine, lol!

birdma said:
Yay! How exciting for you! I'm still waiting for mine, lol!

They will, I thought mine would never show up! I your the same person I'm thinking you are, I think we started our fish in cycles (that were unplanned, or atleast mine was!) practically at the same time (mine started 8/16)... So hopefully you will see some soon!

They will, I thought mine would never show up! I your the same person I'm thinking you are, I think we started our fish in cycles (that were unplanned, or atleast mine was!) practically at the same time (mine started 8/16)... So hopefully you will see some soon!

Yup, that's me. We both started out unplanned fish in cycles at the same time. I'll keep waiting and cursing the blue. :p

I though that was you :) I'm sure it will come soon enough! Now I'm on the watch to see something different than yellow for nitrates!

Hey it must be a day for nitrites! I just tested and while it wasn't quite .25 it wasn't zero either! My ammonia was pretty close to 0 too. Progress for both of us, yay!

I think it's interesting to compare where we both are at since we started around the same time. How big is your tank?

Just sent you a PM :) but to answer your question it's a 10g. I know it's not much at all, but the tank was given to me for free and i couldn't turn it down!

The Nitrites phase can take a while to run its course, but really good to see it happening - hopefully not to long before your finished.

I'm hoping so. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever see nitrites lol.

Back
Top Bottom