Finally starting my 46 gal planted fresh water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will probably have better luck finding PVC parts at a traditional hardware store. Out of curiosity, what's your new plan?

Just wondering if I have cause for concern. My PH was way up when I started this, 7.6, and I added some "PH Down" to try and bring it down. It never worked. But now I have some CO2 bubbling in there and tonight my PH is dropped off to about 6.6-6.8. My ammonia level is still steady at about .5 with a very noticeable odour. My Nitrite levels have not moved yet and my Carbonate Hardness is still at 5.

Should I be worried about my PH level dropping off so quickly?

Darn it! I just figured out one problem... I can't seem to get any CO2 out of my air stone, I can straight into the tank but when I hook it up through my DIY bubble counter which is hooked up to an air stone I get nothing. My problem I've figured is the length of my tubing. It's too long. I hooked it up as a temporary method just to get CO2 into the tank quickly and it backfiring.

This will solve itself when I construct the CO2 mixer but that's going to take a few days. Arrg!

I think I figured out another problem. My ammonia levels haven't been steadily going up like I expected. So I think the solution is adding more raw shrimp. I surmise that as the one decomposes it produces ammonia to a certain point and the its finished. So more shrimp means more ammonia. Am I way off the mark or is that about the gist of it?

When a shrimp stops putting our ammonia, it will be pretty dilapidated looking. It could also be that it's just not breaking down fast enough, and the bacteria are preventing significant accumulation.

Eureka! I have ammonia readings of 1 ppm and nitrite readings of 5 ppm! And my PH is stable at around 7.0!

I do have this white fluffy stuff on my bog wood now that I think is the result of the shrimps, not sure what it is yet. Here's hoping it either goes away or some fish will like eating it.

Oh yeah, I have the intake side of the CO2 reactor completed and should finish the other side tomorrow night.

Attachments

• image-3145916912.jpg
    image-3145916912.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 48
Ok, CO2 reactor is complete. I'm just going to let all the joints cure overnight and hook it for a trial run tomorrow night after work. I also installed a nice little light in the cabinet so I don't have to work in the dark any longer.

image-1836487265.jpg

Intake and CO2 line connection with bubble counter mounted inside.

image-2195018986.jpg

Outlet on the outside of the cabinet.

I wish I could have found Ball Valves instead of Globes but I will worry about that if I notice the water pressure drop any significant amount.

Since you are in Canada I would recommend going to Home Hardware and picking up this stuff Home Hardware - 900mL Ammonia All Purpose Cleaner .

It's a lot less messy than using shrimp and you can dial in the amounts to the size of your tank. I have the same tank and cycled it using that and an Ammonia Alert tab from Seachem. Don't think I would ever do it any other way again.

Well I didn't want to use ammonia cleaner, if I could have even found it, because they put other chems in it besides pure ammonia.

No worries though, I have Nitrates now! Cycle has started and should be breathable, at least if your a fish, by this weekend!

True but I don't believe here in Canada they are allowed to sell pure ammonia.

Don't think so. Never seen one anyway.

I got bigger issues now :)

My filter puts out 360 gallons per hour but this water filter housing is only rated at max 100 psi. If I have the water going through it the top part leaks like crazy... Plus my DIY CO2 generators don't seem to be producing enough pressure to bubble into the counter. ****!

Oh and pure ammonia is a regulated product here in Canada. You can only get it professionally.

Hee hee hee, I picked up a 20 litre(5 gallon) glass jug on the weekend and a rubber stopper. I'm going to use that for my CO2 generator. It should run forever! :)

Tank still cycling but coming along... Must be patient! Plants are doing nicely. The amazon swords are doing amazingly and the vals are starting to perk up. I thought I was going to loose them for a bit.

I wouldn't recommend glass containers for DIY CO2 setups. They've been known to explode under certain circumstances, which is a mess if you're using a plastic container and a shrapnel bomb if you're using glass.

Back
Top Bottom