Firemouth Cichlid Compatability Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilemadeofsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all! Would one Firemouth Cichlid be ok in a 46 gallon cube set up with a school of Serpae Tetra and 5 Red Rainbows? I have a Rena Filstar XP2 so plenty of filtration, and lots of plant cover, but I am having an issue with my Serpaes nipping my Angelfish's fins with my current stock, and so I am quickly moving him, and my GBR into a 75 as soon as I have it cycled and ready. I was looking for something else to put in as a centerpiece fish, and came across Firemouth Cichlids. I don't know much about them yet, but I loved how they looked, and thought something like a Firemouth could definitely hold their own with the Serpaes, and don't have long flowy tempting fins. Would a Firemouth beat the crap out of my Serpaes, and do they need to be kept in pairs, or is one ok? I am trying to find the answer online, but if someone on here has experience with them and would be willing to share some advice/wisdom I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks :)

-Robert

The main reason I was thinking of it, is because one site I read recommended Rainbows and Barbs as potential tank mates for them, and I figured Serpaes are similar in size and temperament to Barbs. Of course I take everything I read online with a grain of salt unless it's a reputable enough site, or I confirm it on more than one. I could probably make room for a pair if I needed to, but would that make them more aggressive than one all by there self? I've never kept them yet so currently reading up on them before I buy but I still have plenty of questions obviously!

Great! Thank you. I checked out my tank with my filter on AqAdvisor, and it says I am within what they consider to be ok boundaries. It says my filtration capacity is still at 106% of what it needs to be, and that my stock is at 89%. Is that pushing the filtration capacity too far? I am fine with more frequent changes if that's what it takes to compensate.

My stock list would be:
13 Serpae Tetra
5 Red Rainbowfish
1 Firemouth Cichlid

I have a Hydor H2show Volcano kit in there so I am going with a whole fiery red/volcanic theme :)

I have a Rena Filstar XP2 for filtration and a Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED strip for lighting if that helps!

Last edited:
Great! Thank you. I checked out my tank with my filter on AqAdvisor, and it says I am within what they consider to be ok boundaries. It says my filtration capacity is still at 106% of what it needs to be, and that my stock is at 89%. Is that pushing the filtration capacity too far? I am fine with more frequent changes if that's what it takes to compensate.

My stock list would be:
13 Serpae Tetra
5 Red Rainbowfish
1 Firemouth Cichlid

I have a Hydor H2show Volcano kit in there so I am going with a whole fiery red/volcanic theme :)

I have a Rena Filstar XP2 for filtration and a Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED strip for lighting if that helps!

Aqadvisor is great for stocking advice, but the filtration capacity can be way off.. Especially if you have plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They underestimate it to be safe. For example, if you have a filter that you know can filter for a certain stocking and it isn't giving you problems, it is a good filter, but aqadvisor could say it isn't enough. I believe somewhere on the site they actually say they estimate to 80% of the filters actual capacity.

Ok, good to know. Thank you very much! I think this stock is actually going to work. Once I have my tanks set up the way I want I am going to have the coolest living room :)

Haha when you have fish tanks, who needs a 4khd TV?! (I would still want one though... hint hint ;))

Right? It's funny because I've always been in love with water but I never really thought about fish keeping until about half a year ago. Now I am officially obsessed, and learning more every day!

Yes actually! I got the 75 gallon set up and cycled, and have moved my Serpaes over to the 75 to separate them from my Angel, who is going to stay in my 46. He is already regrowing his fins, and the Serpaes seem to be doing well in the 75, they've been in for about a week now and no visible signs of stress or disease. If they are still ok in about 3 weeks I am going to move my rainbowfish over. (I am going to go visit family in Tucson for about a week at the end of the month and I don't want my fiance to have to monitor/care for fish that have just been moved and acclimated to a new tank, so I am going to wait until I get back.) I am also prepping a HUGE piece of Mopani that I bought, I have had it soaking, it should be ready before too long. I am super excited to get them stocked, and the kid in me wants to fill them now but the responsible adult in me knows it's way better in the long run to take it safe and slow.

I have also rethought my stock for the 75, which is leaving my 46 pretty empty once I move some fish over. I am keeping my Angel and my 6 Cories in there, and am thinking of adding a Firemouth Cichlid, but I am not sure what else to add. I still have 32% of my aquarium space left and plenty of filtration according to aqadvisor. I'm just not sure what will be tough and/or fast enough to live in there but also not start nipping at my Angel again. Obviously no Serpaes and I've heard that many Barbs can be nippy so I am trying to stear clear of them. I am still looking for what I want to finish the tank off with.

Back
Top Bottom