First aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffp

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, new to fish keeping and to the boards. We bought a 55 gal tank the other day and our stand should be here tomorrow. I wanted to ask your opinions on our fish choices. We have plenty of time to finalize it since the cycling should take a while, but it's always good to plan ahead. We were looking at

1x angelfish
3x molly
3x platy
5x zebra danio
1x bristlenose pleco
1x rainbow shark
and maybe 2 african cichlids and a few guppies.

We know the angelfish may or may not eat the smaller fish, but we will probably get a fairly small one, so it won't be an issue for a little while at least. Any comments or suggestions? We basically just looked around at stuff we liked and figured out what would probably work together. Thanks

Chiclids are usually pretty aggressive and will not do well with the rest of your list. They need a tank to their own kind.

jeffp said:
Hi, new to fish keeping and to the boards. We bought a 55 gal tank the other day and our stand should be here tomorrow. I wanted to ask your opinions on our fish choices. We have plenty of time to finalize it since the cycling should take a while, but it's always good to plan ahead. We were looking at

1x angelfish
3x molly
3x platy
5x zebra danio
1x bristlenose pleco
1x rainbow shark
and maybe 2 african cichlids and a few guppies.

We know the angelfish may or may not eat the smaller fish, but we will probably get a fairly small one, so it won't be an issue for a little while at least. Any comments or suggestions? We basically just looked around at stuff we liked and figured out what would probably work together. Thanks

Welcome to AA! Fishkeeping is very fun, and it's a really addicting hobby! (as you'll soon see) now I have some questions for you:
How are you cycling your tank?
What test kit are you using?
And now for the stocking suggestions, first off, no African cichlids With the other fish. They have to be in a species only tank, as they're very aggressive and require different Ph then most tropical fish. Also, you'll need to decide between the rainbow shark and the angel. The shark is likely to nip any fish with long flowing fins. The angel, (if you go with it) is highly unlikely to eat your other fish if you add it last and introduce it young. The rest of that stocking list is perfect! You could even up the school of zebra danios to 8 or so. You could add a few guppies as well. So Maybe this stocking:
1 rainbow shark/angelfish
3 mollies*
3 platys*
8 zebra danio
1 bristlenose pleco
3 guppies*
now, the fish with *'s are avid breeders, and if you get both males and females, or even just females, you will still get lots of fry. These fry are hard to sell, and will overstock a tank very quickly, so all males would be much better. :) if you like the idea of an African cichlid tank instead of a community, check out the cichlid section on the site. The people there can give you some good ideas and advice. Sorry for the book lol, nice to meet you!
Thanks
-Lauren

I got one of the API master test kits and will probably try the tetra safestart, but I've seen mixed things about it. Since I'll be adding a few fish after the safestart, if it doesn't work I'll be doing a fish-in cycle (or whatever you call it).

I don't know if it makes a difference, but we were looking at african butterfly cichlids and no where did I run into anything saying it was aggressive, so I assume it could be that specific species is less/non-aggressive?

As far the shark, the main thing we want is the angelfish so that will probably have to go, unless there is some specific shark that wouldn't nip at the angel?

jeffp said:
I got one of the API master test kits and will probably try the tetra safestart, but I've seen mixed things about it. Since I'll be adding a few fish after the safestart, if it doesn't work I'll be doing a fish-in cycle (or whatever you call it).

I don't know if it makes a difference, but we were looking at african butterfly cichlids and no where did I run into anything saying it was aggressive, so I assume it could be that specific species is less/non-aggressive?

As far the shark, the main thing we want is the angelfish so that will probably have to go, unless there is some specific shark that wouldn't nip at the angel?

That's great about the test kit! Ok, don't bother with the safestart, it's too risky. Check out the link in my signature instead. It's a much safer way, and it almost always works. Fish in cycles are really rough on fish as well, so I really don't suggest that. Eco23 is a great user to Pm if you have any cycling questions. He wrote the guide in my signature lol. With the cichlids, I'm afraid it's still a no, aggressive or not, they still need different water conditions then other tropical fish. :) sadly, there's no other sharks that are suited for your size tank that won't nip the angel, so I guess no sharky either. :) sorry to pick your list apart like this, I don't mean to be mean! :)

That's great about the test kit! Ok, don't bother with the safestart, it's too risky. Check out the link in my signature instead. It's a much safer way, and it almost always works. Fish in cycles are really rough on fish as well, so I really don't suggest that. Eco23 is a great user to Pm if you have any cycling questions. He wrote the guide in my signature lol. With the cichlids, I'm afraid it's still a no, aggressive or not, they still need different water conditions then other tropical fish. :) sadly, there's no other sharks that are suited for your size tank that won't nip the angel, so I guess no sharky either. :) sorry to pick your list apart like this, I don't mean to be mean! :)

Not mean at all, I asked for a reason! I obviously don't know a lot of details about which fish need what, but that's why I'm asking. Although I was almost positive the butterfly cichlid would've been ok since the places I looked had it needing similar water conditions to the other fish. Oh well :( Thanks for all the great info!

jeffp said:
Not mean at all, I asked for a reason! I obviously don't know a lot of details about which fish need what, but that's why I'm asking. Although I was almost positive the butterfly cichlid would've been ok since the places I looked had it needing similar water conditions to the other fish. Oh well :( Thanks for all the great info!

No problem! I still encourage you to try a fishless cycle rather then fish in... It's so much better for the fish, as the lack of stress prevents disease and lengthens the life of the fish :)

Your original stocking list would probably work, if you lose the shark (none of which I like) and choose between the angels and butterfly cichlids (although I am not sure what fish those are exactly, I'm thinking Kribs). I would add a school of 5 or 6 corys. The advice for no African cichlids, is off base since there are many West African cichlids that fit the bill in this type of tank. The Rift Lake Africans cichlids do not require different water parameters than most other tropical fish (even though they wouldn't fit this type of tank). They will do well in most peoples tap water as will the vast majority of fish sold in the hobby. (Do you think the LFS uses different water for their different fish?) Your water does not have to match the native waters of the fish you keep for them to thrive.
I would skip the mollies as I find them to be problematic, but platies are good, and if you go with the angel it will keep the tank from being over run with babies.
The one thing all fish require is clean water, and this is done by regular maintenance of the filter and regular partial water changes. Good luck.

First off I believe the butterfly fish you are talking about is Pantodon buchholzi which if I'm not mistaken is not a cichlid at all. African butterfly fish are pretty aggressive and will eat anything they can fit in their mouths so they probably won't be a good match for your tank of smaller community fish.

African cichlids from the rift lakes Malawi, Tanganyika and Victoria should not be mixed with community fish. Either do a community or an African cichlid tank mixing the two never works out well do to aggression levels. While some may argue that you don't need to keep them at higher PH unless they are wild caught I try and keep their tank as close to their natural habitat as possible.

First off I believe the butterfly fish you are talking about is Pantodon buchholzi which if I'm not mistaken is not a cichlid at all. African butterfly fish are pretty aggressive and will eat anything they can fit in their mouths so they probably won't be a good match for your tank of smaller community fish.

It's possible but there's also Aulonocara jacobfreibergi (Otter Pt.) which I breed and they're refered to as butterfly cichlids.

While some may argue that you don't need to keep them at higher PH unless they are wild caught I try and keep their tank as close to their natural habitat as possible.

I would argue that point where it's fine to have a higher PH it's certainly not a mandatory thing.

Thanks to all who responded. As to the african butterfly cichlid, I think it was the anomalochromis thomasi, but I could be mistaken, I didn't write down the name, but it did look like the pictures I googled. I'll have to check when I can make it down there again

So, I was wondering what would be the best way to put a filter into a hang on filter that takes cartridges. I saw the thing in the guide saying to just buy some and stuff it into the thing, but how does that work? Do I cut it down to the size of the cartridge and just put it in place of the cartridge?

jeffp said:
So, I was wondering what would be the best way to put a filter into a hang on filter that takes cartridges. I saw the thing in the guide saying to just buy some and stuff it into the thing, but how does that work? Do I cut it down to the size of the cartridge and just put it in place of the cartridge?

Yep, a pair of scissors is all you need :). If you're referring to the guide in my sig, the recommendation is mostly just to save some $. Using the actual cartridges designed for your filter are fine (though the carbon is unneeded), but the rolled up sheets of media are cost efficient, easy to clean (in water from the tank), and I was basically making the point that you don't have to follow the manufacturers recommendation and replace them as directed or use their particular product.

Yep, a pair of scissors is all you need :). If you're referring to the guide in my sig, the recommendation is mostly just to save some $. Using the actual cartridges designed for your filter are fine (though the carbon is unneeded), but the rolled up sheets of media are cost efficient, easy to clean (in water from the tank), and I was basically making the point that you don't have to follow the manufacturers recommendation and replace them as directed or use their particular product.

Ah, ok. I was under the impression that the roll of filter media was a better choice for more than just economical reasons

Back
Top Bottom