First Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pgrhodes1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New here and first aquarium......Got my 47 gal bow front aquarium set up last Thursday. Decided to go with the SunSun external 3 stage canister filter, Hydro in-line heater, cheap air pump for bubble wall from Walmart, gravel bed with real and artificial plants. LOVE my setup. I’m doing a fish-in cycle with 3 white shirt tetras and a rainbow shark. Added Top Fin bacteria supplement and all seems well. Water is REALLY clear and fish seem happy. Problem is I’m a nervous wreck. I keep expecting bad things to happen. What should I be looking for other than water values?? Should I change the water this Friday even if water is good?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My water this AM:

7.2 PH
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
10 Nitrates

Water temp is staying at a steady 78 degrees.

Thanks, Penny

Hi Penny, welcome to AA!

It looks like you're in good shape as far as your cycle is concerned. 0 ammonia and nitrites, with measurable nitrates indicates a cycled tank. The bacteria supplements are hit or miss, but in your case it seems to have done it.

I would make sure that over the next 4-6 weeks you don't have any healthy problems. Things like ich are pretty common with new additions.

Do you plan to add any other fish yo your tank?

Hi there rmiller,

Yes, I want to add slowly, 2 Angle fish, Clown Loach, and 12 Neon Tetras. Really wanted some Ruby or Tiger Barbs; however, it looks like they might hurt the Angles. What do you think??

Thanks, Penny

Tiger barbs may, but cherry, checker and rosy barbs probably won't. They are more docile.

Also, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and X nitrate indicates a cycled tank, as rmiller said, so the bacteria in a bottle seems to have helped a lot.

BTW, if you are nervous, it may be from lack of knowledge? (no offense of course, but I was like that too until I learned more about the nitrogen cycle and fishkeeping, and I grew more confident. I don't even test my tank's water at this point![not that I recommend that though! :D])

But yeah, just test daily or every other day until you are cycled and the week after you are cycled. Then test weekly. Just do a water change whenever you get over .25 ppm ammonia or nitrite, or over 40 ppm nitrate (for most fishes, but many are more sensitive).

Also, beware of the rainbow shark, as it might be okay in a 47 gallon, but will be really tough on any other bottom-dwellers.

Thanks for your input. You're right, it is definitely lack of knowledge. Had no idea this was so complicated until I bought the aquarium and started my research. Thank goodness for this site, you guys are a HUGE help. Will keep an eye on the Rainbow. The Loach I'm getting is way bigger than my little Rainbow so I'm hoping there will be no issue. Will follow your advise with the water watch....:)

Thanks, Penny

I suggest getting a different type of loach other than a clown. Even tho clown loaches grow slowly they will eventually outgrow this tank. There are several other loaches that you could use. Yo-Yo's, Angelicus, and Dwarf Chain Loaches are my favorites. Plus loaches like to be in groups.

It's best to keep nitrates at 20ppm or lower which is safe for even most sensitive fish. Weekly WC's of 50% ensures pristine water conditions.

Loaches like to be in groups. Like 5 or more. Zebra loaches look real nice. Don't get as big as the clowns

Back
Top Bottom