First Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltyphone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My family and I are embarking on our first aquarium adventure. We have a standard 20 gallon tank, 100w heater, penguin 150 filter and in the first week of fishless cycle (currently no change in amonia levels ~4ppm.). Upon researching fish we each chose a species we would like. My wife really likes the sunset guppies. Stepdaughter wants Mick Mouse Platies. So I got stuck with the bottom dwellers I like the peppered cory. So I’m thinking 6 guppies 3 platies and 4 corys. Will that be a good stock level to maybe add a dwarf Gourami down the road or is that over doing it? I’d appreciate any advice in the matter.

i'd up the cory count to at LEAST 6.

guppies and platies are live bearers, So be prepared for them to breed like rabbits.

I'm not to knowledgeable about gouramis, but I've always been told their real big meanies. I think Honey Gourami's though are some of the more docile ones, but remember, don't get more than 1 male.

I have several cherry barbs and one thick lipped sunset gourami in our 20 gallon tank. They all get along great. The gourami is awesome. He'll sit in the palm of my hand if I let him. He always comes over to see what I'm doing during tank maintenance.

This is our third gourami in less than one year. The first was a dwarf gourami and he died from DGIV. I really like the dwarf gourami but I won't get another due to DGIV. It was hard to watch.

Our second gourami was a honey gourami and he just died suddenly. Perfectly fine in the evening and dead at the bottom of the tank the next morning.

All of the gouramis got along fine with the cherry barbs.

I've had my blue guarami kill all my guppies. Some of them can be really mean. I'd honestly play it safe and wait a bit. Maybe add him in a quick temporarily quarantine to see how his personality is and then the first weeks really pay attention if he's showing signs of aggression.

No change in ammonia so far. On the stock Q though. So 6 guppies 3 platies and 6peppered corys should be an ok stock level for a 20 gal tank?

As a side note once I’m sure the cycle is complete I can add full stock? Can anyone adv on a feeding schedule and food?

Have you got much in the way of subtrate and plants in there? I would keep up the water changes until you get amonia down to a safe level before adding fish. Plant heavy, that will help too

We have a 37 gallon community tank. We have a male blue flame gourami who is a beauty but we also call him Mr. Sassy pants. He darts at our other fish but I have not seen him actually attack. We also have a male honey gourami who seems to have a more docile personality. We have some sunset platies that are the candy corn variety, and we just added some green lantern platies. They are a pretty blue color. Tank favorites are the panda cory cats. I like them because they are small and have cute markings.

I would suggest

4 Male Guppies
4 Mickey Mouse Platys
2 Honey Gouramis
6 Peppered Corys

If you want you could do shrimpand snails, like neocaridinas, amanos, Nerites and mysterys. If you dont want shrimp you could do a single Dwarf cichlid that handles cooler temperatures like Aspisto's or Bolivian rams.

Back
Top Bottom