First aquarium advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murf5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

I'm new here but have been reading about aquariums and trying to learn as much about them recently. I'm looking to buy my first setup and have room and funds for a 29 gallon. I've been looking at the fluval accent which initially I thought seemed relatively expensive at $400 for a 25 gallon with stand. However I started looking at the cost to put together my own and I'm not finding many savings. The way I would put my own tank together is as follows:

29 gallon tank
Eheim 2211 filter
Marineland double bright led
150w heater

All of this with a stand would cost about $310. Does anyone have any idea how this would compare to a fluval accent as far as filter quality and led quality? I tried calling fluval and all they said was that everything was custom to the fluval and did not have much info on the specs of it. If the accent would be of similar quality as I would get making my own setup I may just spend the extra money for an easy setup that looks pretty **** good. Any help would be greatly appreciated I've been going back and forth with what I want to do for a few days now. :fish1:

How do you feel about 2nd hand tanks & equipment? If you're up for it check your local Craigslist. Some people on here have found amazing deals. You could maybe find a tank & stand you like then order the filter you want online which a lot of times is a good savings. I kept an eye on my local big box stores (Petsmart/Petco) & found a 46g with stand, glass canopy & light hood for under $200. Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your direct question but thought I'd give you some other ideas if you hadn't looked at them.

I definitely have no problem with used tanks. Only problem is I have no way to transport an assembled stand and tank together. I already got a 29 gallon tank at petco for $29 from their $1 gallon sale but can always return it if I need to. You got an awesome deal. I'll keep an eye on craigslist and petco for sales but I am also picky about how the tank looks. Thank you for the suggestions!

I have a friend that has the Fluval Accent. It really is a pretty neat tank. Are you planning on buying a larger tank eventually? They are $$$, but if you don't have the room for a bigger tank, or don't see yourself upgrading, go for it. If you decide on the 29, consider building a stand. A stand can cost you less than $70-80 if you build it yourself. You also have the option of running your own filter and media. It really does come down to preference. Get what you like.

I have the fluval accent and i love it!! I found some clown selling it on craigslist for 150!! Tank and stand in box and everything!! Its a beautiful tank and worth the $$

Back
Top Bottom