First attempt at a stock for 35g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Corsair was very correct about one thing tho. Your mail sword will non stop try to have sex with whatever females are in your tank. At minimum you should have 2:1 female males.

And panda Cory can live upto 79-80 degree water. Wich is warmer then I keep my tropical tank! His pandas will be perfectly fine... But thanks for your tips.

More fish the better IMO. And if the op wants to learn to overstock there tank, good for them! You may aswell learn the facts about that early on. It will teach you so much about filtration and beneficial bacteria that you will easily be able to keep a modestly stocked tank without breaking a sweat or do even less water changes.

Giving someone the knowledge needed to succeed is the key to there success.

I think it should be mandatory to learn about overstocking when keeping fish, you don't have to exercise that option. But everyone should learn about it.

There would be a lot less fish deaths if people's eyes were opened to these things instead of being sheltered from it.

I know for a fact that if I was taught earlier on about the principles of overstocking I would have been able to provide a healthier environment for my fish, even when it was understocked to now way overstocked.

And I am certain that's a rule of thumb that can apply to any new fish owner.

We all want the healthiest tanks possible for our fish and with a little bit of interest in overstocking you plant a seed of knowledge, in my experience that's only beneficial for everybody.

Or you could just keep your tank at a lower temperature to suit everybody. As the rest of his fish choices seem rather tolerant of lower temperatures.

My favorite fish book has a beginner tank stocking scheme for a 29 and 55 gallon that has angelfish, swordtails, and I forget what else. If you send me a pm to remind me I'll forward it. Or the book is on amazon and kindle pretty cheap, something like the simple guide to freshwater aquariums by Boruchowitz. As I recall a primary warning was neither are hardy enough for fish in cycling. And yes the angelfish will eat the swordtail fry (which he presents as a good thing).

AquStockImage.php

Trading Cory's for Loaches, figured they would help move the sand more as well.

looks decent to me, though I am more a fan of understocking than overstocking (and I don't know anything about loaches - just putting it out there) Make sure you keep on top of your water changes/ gravel vacuum, as overstocked can more easily go sour, resulting in dead or damaged fish. And lets admit it, sword tails are eating and pooping machines! :D Stock your tank slowly and watch to make sure everyone gets along, especially the first month (even generally peaceful fish can sometimes have a mean one!) Good luck I hope this works out for you.

Found it ... 29/50 gallon ...

3/5 swordtails. More female than male.

6/8 cories.

2/4 small angelfish.

Or ...

4/7 angelfish

No swordtails.

3/5 cories.

If you want to try shrimps, you will need a heavily planted tank or a tank with a lot of hiding places. Plus x amount of colony reproduction to offset the eating of the shrimps that the swords would eat. You should also use larger shrimps then the RCs. They look pretty but they are tiny so easily eaten live by pretty much everything! With swords you need large shrimps jumbo ghost or jumbo amano shrimp or xl depending on how your store sizes them. Jumbos are more pricey but less likely to be eaten.

Back
Top Bottom