First Brackish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im looking into starting a brackish water tank. I had a full reef tank before (heater problems caused it to die) so I am pretty experianced in that respect, but I dont really know anything about brackish. I am mainly looking into getting a figure 8 puffer. So I am really clueless when it comes to water parameters for brackish.

Salinity?
PH?
etc?

Also anything specific to the figure 8 puffer? tank size?

I plan to cycle after doing a little research so any info you guys have will help

Thanks

Thanks! I read the links and that answered most of my questions except for a few.

1. Is it better to use RODI water like SW tanks or should I just dechlorinate tap water?

2. I have a free 20 gal tank sitting around. Is that too small for puffers? Im under the impression 30 is the min, but if its just a puffer or two and they are figure 8 would that work?

3. I have used rocks and filters from previous freshwater tanks to get the cycle to speed up a little when I start a new tank. Its worked for freshwater, could I jump start my brackish cycle by using stuff from my established FW?

skae310 said:
Thanks! I read the links and that answered most of my questions except for a few.

1. Is it better to use RODI water like SW tanks or should I just dechlorinate tap water?

2. I have a free 20 gal tank sitting around. Is that too small for puffers? Im under the impression 30 is the min, but if its just a puffer or two and they are figure 8 would that work?

3. I have used rocks and filters from previous freshwater tanks to get the cycle to speed up a little when I start a new tank. Its worked for freshwater, could I jump start my brackish cycle by using stuff from my established FW?

1. Use tap water cured with Prime, the fish need the nutrients.

2. F8's don't get as big as GSP, but a 30g is prefered.

3. You can start the cycle FW and when you see no3, start the conversion to BW and finish the cycle. When you go from FW->BW, you want to salt up slowly so the bacteria can convert. Plants are great in BW if you're into it. Go to palntgeek.net and they have a section on BW capable plants.

Back
Top Bottom