Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

First fish added, 1 died while floating in bag...

So I have been cycling a 20gallon tank for just over two weeks. First week I added Seachem Prim and then Stability every day for 10 days. Added ammonia, shook it in glass jar, no bubbles, said no additives, assume it is good. Ammonia readings were between 5-8ppm at the start. Now they are reading about .5ppm, nitrites and nitrates show no readings at all yet. I thought I would try and help the cycle along by adding 2 Zebra Danios, a dose of prime and dose of stability. Both Danios were very active at the store and in the bags on the way home (5 minute drive). While floating them in the tank for 15 minutes, 1 sank to bottom of bag and looked to have died. Pet store called and said they are known to faint so put in tank and monitor, other one swimming around happily. "fainited" fish is still on bottom of tank on its side, pretty sure its dead, other won is now hanging out at the surface of tank hiding behind hob filter. Penguin 150 filter, heater set at 78f, gravel in bottom of tank and fake plants. Suggestions?

Old 01-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I would question the ammonia you added. If you can get a brand name and/or manufacturer name, then a Google search should lead you to a list of ingredients or an MSDS sheet. There is a chance that it may contain something potentially harmful to aquatic life (aside from ammonia, of course).
After two weeks going from 5-8 ppm ammonia to 0.5 with no nitrite or nitrates is very suspicious. I would retest all.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Also would do a 50%pwc.

Are you using a liquid or strip test?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The fish could have been injured while being caught.

When getting the fish ready to go into the new tank, I like to dump about half of the fish store water (down the drain never in the tank), then add a little tank water to the bag every 5 min or so, when it gets full, I will dump at least half again and do the same thing, then pour out water through the net and add just the fish only gently to the tank water.

Tank light on night time blues or off.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 01-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #5

This is first fish tank ever. I have been reading everything I could that seemed consistent with each other for a month prior to testing. I am using the API Fresh water Master test kit, shake the bottles yadda yadda. I was starting to think it may have been the ammonia but couldn't find any data on it anywhere. The remaining fish I sprinkled a minute amount of food near it and it shot after the food like a jet. When I first put it in the tank, it swam all over exploring and did what I read Danios do, very active for a few hours, then it moved up near the stream coming out of the pump and only came out to get at food and went back again. I had LED lights on, white light, and just a few minutes ago turned the night, blue light on for the evening, 7:15pm MST. I got in touch with Fish store and they said to just bring it back and they will give another. Test kit expiry is 2023 so not old stock either. Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Here are some additional articles just in case you didn't get enough info for fish in cycling.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 01-13-2019, 11:47 PM   #7

Did a 50%, well maybe 40, water change, tested ammonia at between .25 and .50, will do another 50% tomorrow afternoon and shoot for .125 and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice so far, will keep testing and update as I go.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
Ichthyophile

I'm not too fond of adding so many chemicals. It's just too hard to manage things. I lean towards time - just letting nature take over to cycle the tank. Six weeks with no fussing and no chemicals should do it. Maybe a fish or two, that's all you need.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
I'm not too fond of adding so many chemicals. It's just too hard to manage things. I lean towards time - just letting nature take over to cycle the tank. Six weeks with no fussing and no chemicals should do it. Maybe a fish or two, that's all you need.
Yeah, I'm kind of leaning that way now. Got it started with the chemicals, but now going to try and let the fish help it along.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
I agree. In the beginning of my fish keeping I used chemicals thinking it helped cycle a tank quicker. I found out that using a few fish and keeping an eye on things cycled my tank just as fast. Makes you wonder if stalled cycles are the outcome of using chemicals in a fishless cycle. Seems to happen quite a bit for people using that method. I've always used fish or fish food to cycle a tank and I've never had a cycle stall on me.

Tags
bag, die, died, first fish, fish, floating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com