First fish-in water change - Any advice for a beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyBusiness40

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my tank has been running smoothly for close to 3 weeks now, the last week i have gradually added fish, so far i have 9guppies (5 of these are fry) 6 platys and 2 angel fish both juvenile. Had no problems so far with fish in but i am due to do a water change this sunday and would like to know the best way of going about the water change that will cause minimal stress to the fish?!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello Fish...

Here's the scoop on cycling a tank with fish. Granted, the water keeping hobby isn't an exact science. There are many ways to succeed. This is how I did it some years ago. You can take things from here.

You add some hardy fish, 3 to 4 small to medium sized adults for every 10 gallons of water. I used female Guppies, they have no problem with traces of nitrogen in the tank water. Platys and Danios are good too. You add a floating plant like Hornwort to help keep the water a bit cleaner for the fish. The more surface plants, the better. You have a liquid water testing kit handy and test the tank water every day for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, you remove and replace roughly a quarter (25 percent) of the water. This amount keeps the chemistry reasonably safe for the fish and provides food for the growing bacteria that will eventually help keep the water clean once the tank is cycled.

Test every day and remove and replace water when needed. Feed the fish a little every few days to maintain a steady ammonia source. When several daily tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. Then you follow a sound tank management routine to maintain pure water condtions for the fish and plants.

Tweak the process however you want. In the end all my female Guppies survived and I even had some fry in the tank.

B

Ive already cycled the tank without fish in it so im pretty clued up on how a cycle works, now that i have fish in the tank i want to know if theres any major or minor changes i need to make to my routine i already have to accommodate the fish? Also thinking of getting plants sometime in the near future, any advice on planting while there are fish in the tank? I dont want to stress them out atall!!

Ive already cycled the tank without fish in it so im pretty clued up on how a cycle works, now that i have fish in the tank i want to know if theres any major or minor changes i need to make to my routine i already have to accommodate the fish? Also thinking of getting plants sometime in the near future, any advice on planting while there are fish in the tank? I dont want to stress them out atall!!

I'c curious, what did you use to cycle the tank?

In general, a weekly 50% water change is the most common water change schedule. Just siphon the water out of the tank and replace it with temperature matched dechlorinated water. There isn't too much to do apart from that. Try to pour the water in fairly slowly so you don't disturb the substrate too much.

For planting plants in the tank there isn't anything special about that either. Just keep a towel on your shoulder and a pair of tweezers in hand. The fish will get used to your arm in the tank the more you're in there. I would suggest going with Anubias, Java fern, Java moss, bolbitis, or Crypts as your plant choices. The crypts will need root tabs but the rest of them don't have any special requirements.

All i used in the cycle from the start was tetra aquasafe and added some filter start every few days to boost the bacteria. Tested everyday throughout and all was fine to add fish, since adding fish ive tested everyday and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Okay, will have a look at some plants and decide what i think will work best. Thanks for advice

All i used in the cycle from the start was tetra aquasafe and added some filter start every few days to boost the bacteria. Tested everyday throughout and all was fine to add fish, since adding fish ive tested everyday and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Okay, will have a look at some plants and decide what i think will work best. Thanks for advice

Keep a close eye on ammonia with a liquid test kit. Bottled bacteria are notorious for not working.

I like to add the new water back by siphoning it in slowly with aquarium tubing. Less lifting and a slower change. But I have sand, so I really really don't want to pour.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I like to add the new water back by siphoning it in slowly with aquarium tubing. Less lifting and a slower change. But I have sand, so I really really don't want to pour.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I use a pitcher and restrict the flow with my hand to prevent it from stirring too much up.

This is how I do a water change. I use buckets, as I don't have a python or one of those automatic water changers.

I have one of those gravel-vac siphons which is basically just a wider rigid tube connected to some hose. I've also got a bucket that I've marked up so I know how much water I've got in it. e.g. there's a halfway mark which = 20 liters. That makes it easy to know how much water you are putting in / taking out.

I switch off the heater and filter. This is important, as if the heater gets exposed, it can shatter.

I stick the wider end of the siphon into the gravel at the bottom of my tank, first checking that there are no fish in the way :) then I start the siphon by sucking at the other end, and direct the flow into the bucket.

(As you suck, keep an eye on the hose where it loops over the edge of your tank, the moment the water comes over that, it should start siphoning out by itself. To stop the flow temporarily, pinch the hose.)

Never leave the siphon to work by itself, always keep an eye on it. If you don't, you'll either suck up a fish, or some sand, or you'll drain out too much water. Or the end will slip out the bucket and you'll get water all over the carpet. Guaranteed!

I move the gravel-end of the siphon around, digging it gently into the gravel, careful not to disturb the fish too much. Also if you have sand, it's easy to suck up sand, which is a pain. So keep an eye on it.

To stop the siphon, pinch the hose and lift the mouth of the siphon very slowly out of the water. Release the pinch gently, which will allow the water in the siphon to flow back into the tank. If you do this too quickly, you'll get a rush of water stirring up everything.

When I've removed all the water I plan to, I empty the bucket. This actually takes a few repeats, depending on how much water I'm removing.

Now I fill my bucket with tap water, mixing in the correct amount of dechlorinator (I use prime) and adding a bit of hot water to get the temperature as near as I can to that in the tank. I sometimes use my hand to test the temp, sometimes a digital thermometer.

I've got another, larger bucket with a pump in it, and a hose going up from that pump that I can hook over the edge of my tank. (I don't just drape the hose, I secure it with a hook otherwise the kick from the pump starting jerks the hose off the edge of the tank)

I pour the dechlorinated water into the larger bucket, and switch on the pump which gently fills the tank. No more lifting / siphoning needed.

When the water level is high enough, I switch on the heater and filter again. Easy to forget this step! Also, if you have a hang on back filter like mine, you'll need to prime it (pour a bit of water into it) until it's pumping properly again.

And that's it! Easier to do than to describe.

I have tygon tubing, which I use as siphoning. It is literally a little tube that you stick in the aquarium. Almost no stress for the fishes.

First wc was a success. No stress to the fishes, and all my water parameters are fine, ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates around 20ppm. Only thing that went wrong, my heater exploded in the tank last night.. But other than that all good lol

Yeah, came home and all the power was out, figured out the fuse in my tank lid plug had blown, (power supply for heater and filter) changed to a new fuse and heard another loud pop followed by power going out in the whole house again, wondered what it was so went to take the heater out and it just came apart in the tank, the glass tube as still in the tank but the control for it and all the heating elements came out of it! I did wonder why the temp was at 28 degrees, it must have overheated and tripped the first time then gave up the sexond time when i replaced the fuse!! Good thing the lights keep my tank at a steady 25.5 degrees or i would have been screwed!

I know, glad i was around when it happened or could have been alot worse, it could have potentially fried all the fish if it had stayed in the tank!

Back
Top Bottom