First Fishtank in 6 or 7 Years...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayonnaise

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I'm new to the Forums, My name is Mayonnaise, and I'm 19 years old... I haven't had a fishtank since roughly the 6th grade. I've been doing a whole lot of reserch on taking care of fish, considering I now live in a college dorm, and don't have my father around to tell me when it's time to clean the tank, and what can and can't live with the fish I've already got in my tank, and I remember how devistated I was when my first five fish (neon tetras) all died within hours of getting them home. (Needless to say I know now that Tetras are bad starter fish.)

Now I've got a 2 gallon Hexagonal Desktop Tank with an undergravel filter thinger... and I'm planning on getting a Betta. I've checked to make sure that the tank will be warm enough for it, and run the pantyhoes test on all the decorations to make sure none of them will snag it's fins, but It seems a shame to have it all by it's lonesome in there and I've read that a good tankmate for a beta is a cory catfish. The problem is, my last fishtank was a 25 gallon tank, so I never realy had to worry about crowding... I certainly wasn't going to have 25 fish, I probably had about 15, but I've read that you shouldn't have more than 2 fish in a 2 gallon.

What I want to know is, would 3 fish be pushing it? I remember from my last fishtank that corrys like to be in pairs at the least... I also remember them being rather small fish.

Is it crowding to put 2 corys and a Betta in a 2 gallon?

If so, does anyone know of a small catfish that doesn't mind being alone?

Thank you!

8^)

First off, Welcome to AA! I can totally sympathize with the college thing as I just started myself, but I live at home and drive :)

So, I really wouldn't put the cories in the 2 gallon for a couple of reasons. They get big after a while(too big to be happy in a 2 gal), and plus, eat alot! With just your betta, it isn't going to have all that much to eat and that would be a problem. My suggestion, go with 1 or 2 dwarf african frogs or 1 or 2 ghost shrimp. Both are bottom dwellers and will get along fine with your betta. HTH

Frogs aren't allowed in the dorms, as they can breath air, (yes I know technichaly so can bettas) the ghost shrimp sound like a good idear... but now that you say corys get big I'm begining to wonder if I ever had them at all... my catfish never got much bigger than an inch long... they were little albino thingers that had funny moustaches... any idear what kind of catfish that is... if it's not a cory.

8^)

((Edit- Corrects the spelling of Cory... one r... I knew that *Slaps self*.))

Frogs aren't allowed in the dorm?!? They're basically a fish!!! Do you know what kind of frog I am talking about? They are really small and don't ever come out of the water, and breathe through the water! If the college has a problem, get all technical on them! Do a search and check them out! They're pretty wicked little things I think :wink:

And don't get me wrong, cories don't get huge, but after a while (and lots of eating) they'll get too big for 2 to live in a 2 gallon tank comforably IMHO, and yes, they like to be paired. The one that you had sounds like a cory, but maybe it just never go too big? Mine I've had for about 1 year, and they are close to 2 inches long and really FAT!!! but they also eat alot too! Somebody will probably be along that can suggest a small catfish, but I'm pretty sure that corys are the smallest that you can get....

:smilecolros: Welcome to AA Mayonnaise!!!!! :evil: :smilecolros:

I'm not sure about any other fish in there. A Betta is fine. Some say they should have a 5-10 gallon minimum. Within a few months, I'll be switching mine out for 5 gallon tanks. The thing to remember is that a far as fish feeling comfortable, they need to be able to swim. Fish generally swim side to side, not up and down. The diameter of those 2 gal hexes, isn't really enough to house much else. Shrimp and frogs, I can't speak for. But as far as a cat goes, I suggest to wait.

Too bad you already got the two gallon ..you could have had fun with 5.
With a 2gal you can have ghost shrimp , snails or frogs..two are potential snacks.

I can say if you have few sources and are not getting you betta from a smal lfs or breeder..pick the smallest most brightly colored specimin you can. find out shipment day....find which day it is. Pale specimins may be naturally that color or may be ill.
Come the second day. Look also for signs of a scummy foam on top..because if it is perky enough to blow a nest it is definitely healthy.

Which one is not a snack? The Frog or the Snails? Snails also seem like a nice idear... do they eat alge? Oh, and I realy don't have enough room for a 5 Gallon Tank, mostly I'm just looking to have the beta, and the 2 gallon semed a better option than a fishbowl. I just thought a tankmate would be nice. If I can't get it one that's also ok *Nods.*

8^)

I wouldn't recommend any cories in a 2 gallon either. The albino cory you saw can get up to 2 or 3 inches long...

Cool advice Christmas fish on the selection of Betta..

Hmm forgot to say why:
Smaller=younger. Large bettas are likely half their lifespan already. a small fish is prolly 8ms to a year old.
High saturation of color =not too highly stressed yet..therefore less likely to be ill.
Day two of arrival allows that ph shock is survived. The first night after shipping is their likely death from that.
Also look for fins fluffed out as container allows and alert beady eyes

And they won't eat frogs. If it is an aggressive fellow he might rip it up..but amphibian is not on the menu.Shrimp and snails are, if he likes that venue.

Eh... I think my Beta will have to be a lone ranger then, as I don't fancy the idear of him eathing his tankmates, and the frogs are forbiden in the dorms.

Do Beta's Get Lonely without other fish? Or is it true that they will recognize thier people?

8^)

((Edits- Spelling again... I meant Fancy... not Fany.))

And the key is IF he likes that venue.

I have a betta and a amano shrimp in a 2 1/2 fishbowl doing very nicely together. They live at work, and the kids find the shrimp just as cool as the fish. However, other folks have had bettas who found shrimp to be just yummy *grin* All depends on the fish.

I wouldn't suggest a snail; most of the small ones are hermaphroditic and will likely take over the tank with babies. Some inexpensive ghost shrimp might be a nice addition, and if they get eaten? Well, its good live food for your fish :) If it turns out your betta isn't a shrimp eater, amano shrimp are THE algae eating shrimp; my one guy keeps the tank free and clear.

Oh, and bettas are loners. They aren't like us, and they aren't schooling fish, so a single betta is usually a happy betta, as long as they are well taken care of.

How long will it be before I know if he's gonna eat the shrimp or not? If he leaves em alone for a week or two is it safe to name em? Is there some sort of shelter or something you can buy for the shrimp to escape too if the Beta's in a bad mood?

(Edit- A New Question in the Morning.)

And is there any truth to a report I read on the web that the waste excreeted by Ghost Shrip will kill your betta? I'm thinking not, cause everyone else seems to be so upbeat about the idear, but one site I read at says they will.

(Edit- More stuff.... )

How long is it safe to have the empty tank running before getting the fish? I set it up Friday thinking I was going to get Fish this Wends, but My Ride backed out, and I don't own a car, and I'm not getting a Fish at the Wal*Mart which is the only place I can get to on the buss that carys them.

Eh... at least it will give me time to locate someplace that carries a heater for a tank as small as mine... any help in that department would be greatly appreciated.

Also I have day and night classes on the night after the Only PetStore around gets the fish in, so if I have to go the Day they come, or two days after, which is better?

8^)

Will it recognize their people???!!! If by that you mean you, then OH YEAH!! Once you find the right one, you will know it. This is why us betta luvers are so crazy about these guys. I have not seen many fish respond to humans and the sound of your voice like a happy betta. I could talk to Baccus for 10 minutes, and he won't break contact with me. I can feed him by hand too. Nikko loves it when I "scratch" the glass at him. He actually stays right there by my finger and acts just like a dog would if you were scratching him. Trust me, bettas don't get lonely if they have a loving owner. I tend to think they might even like humans more than fish.

If there is a complicated style (fake hornwort/real hornwart kinda plant) of plant then the shrimp can hide.

Waste excreted by ANY animal in water can ultimately kill any animal in water. They were prolly trying to emphasize that shrimp also are bioload however small or they know? of poisonous shrimp..or they are just crazy. :roll: :twisted:

Running empty tank? Why?
*Cycle does not start without a source of ammonia to begin the first most dangerous stage of the cycle.
**The tank is either well rinsed or not
*** best way to be sure of chlorine is to have a de-chlorinator.
That way minor contaminates and chloromines can be handled too.

Online and large pet retailers like Petsmart carry hagen compacts and the ?viser? brand 25 watts. It is better to come 2 days after. They will be over pH shock and showing any problem starts by then.

And yes bettas are very socialable fish..just not always to other fish and rarely their own kind. They bloom in company as long as they like it. So if their caretaker is in good contact..they will return the attentions.

Running empty tank? Why?
Well the manual that came with the tank said to have the tank set up and running for 48 hours before buying fish... so natualy I set it running a few days before I though I'd get fish... and now I'm gonna be delayed by a week...

Do I try to empty it, or do I just let it run till then?

Oh, and I've already used a dechlorinator on the tankwater, but I do have more if I had to empty it and start over.

I'm going home for the weekend for easter and I'm thinking about checking out Bensons Petstore in my hometown... that's a small chain... there are 2 of them in total... and from what you guys have said smaller petshops are better for fishes... or sommat... or was it fish shops... are smaller petstores better than say Petsmart or sommat? It's Petsmart that I checked the delivery dates on, but I'm going home to my town for easter.

I could also check out Eddie's Aquarium Center... which is where I got my fish for my 25 gal when I was a little kid. I remember they knew their stuff pretty well... my father reminded me of them when I called last night.

However that's only if my folks let me borrow their car. Otherwise, I'm back to Petsmart on Friday, a full week after I set up the tank. (It was gonna be Wends, but they get the fish in on Wends and That's bad you said cause of the pH Shock.)

(Edit- Whoopee!!!)

I just called Bensons Petcenter and found an actual place that carries the 25 Watt Heater... they say they've got one left in stock. Hope it's still there when I get there on the Weekend.

8^)

Just making sure you didn't think it was cycling.
No need to empty it, though in a week the it might get scummy with alage.
I guess that is the manufacturers way of having you check for inoperative/defective equipment.
Smaller petstores are not ALWAYS better. But they are more aware of their fish usually and what they have ordered. And they usually do not charge much for fish, specially like bettas.
There are a ton of Newyawkers here (and NJers), where to go could be easily found out. Post in general.."where can a Ny girl get a nice healthy betta? " Or somefin like that and the areas you can shop easiest at, specially during break. And ask if that one store still is pretty good. They can also hook ya up on where to find a nice little 25 watt.
We are a little scarce in here.

Naw, Can't Cyle a tank with no fishes. Bensons says they Have the 25 watt heater, as well as the 7.5 wat heater, but the smaller one has no thermostat.

*caughs.* And I'm not a "Newyawker" as you put it. It's a common misconception that all people in NY State actualy go to NYC, or talk like people from NYC, or even have BEEN to NYC... I'm no where near NYC. And I'm not in Western New York Either... You don't have a Regional Forum for me...

I am a Nu Your-ker. I come from the Land of Dairy Farms, and kids fighting over who's town is more middle of no-place than the next... where junk mail comes addressed to "Rural Residant" and public transit, is something other places have.

8^)

Sorry for the Tupost, but I knew if I edited this it wouldn't show up...

Question, if I baught the Fish while I was home, could it live in it's little plastic tub for 24-48 hours that might be neccisary before I can get it back to the College? It would be in that in the store anyhow right? Cuz I'm pretty sure everythings Closed on Easter, so I'd have to get it on Saturday if I was gonna get it at Bensons or Eddie's.

8^)

I thought that all mail came addressed to rural resident..but now that you think about it, doesn't make much sense does it....I too, get the rural resident mail...and the cow fields, and also the arguments about who lives more in the middle of no where than the other.... It's cool to live in the middle of nowhere IMO, not a lot of people, and I just love the smell of freshly sprayed fields on a warm summer morning.... yuck...
Anyways, back on topic, your betta fish should be ok in the tub...but is there anything that you can put it in while your home? A big vase, a small tank, anything of the sort? I wouldnt leave it in there is I didn't have too! HTH

Back
Top Bottom