First Post and Another New Tank to Stock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vaan2931

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there everyone. I've just joined the forums after I got a new tank and I am wondering if I could get some help with stocking it. It is a 120 litre Interpet Fish Pod which is brand new and hasn't even been taken out of the box. I have also got a stand for it. (My parents own a pet shop so I can get anything I want really for free. :angel:

I was thinking of stocking it with:

• German Blue Rams x2 (There is a pair in our aquarium in our shop and they look like they might have paired.)
  • Kuhli Loach x6
  • Denison's Barb x6
  • Whiptail Catfish x2
Would all of these fish be suitable together and if so, is there any more I can add or is the tank fully stocked?

I am planning on planting the tank with some Java Sword, Java Moss, Cabomba, Twisted Vallis and Straight Vallis. Are any of these unsuitable and are there any I should add?

Of course, I will be cycling the tank with an Assassin Snail (and maybe some Zebra Danio, which can be returned to our 15 gallon tank in our living room once I have cycled the tank) for at least 2 months. The reason I decided on an Assassin Snail was the fact that while the plants are cycling with the tank, if they carry any "pest" snails, the Assassin could (possibly) keep the population under control. Also, the substrate will be some sort of plant soil (haven't really looked into it yet) at the bottom and a layer of silica sand on top of that. I will also be adding Mopani wood.

Thanks for reading this and I hope someone can help. :flowers:

Hi there everyone. I've just joined the forums after I got a new tank and I am wondering if I could get some help with stocking it. It is a 120 litre Interpet Fish Pod which is brand new and hasn't even been taken out of the box. I have also got a stand for it. (My parents own a pet shop so I can get anything I want really for free. :angel:

I was thinking of stocking it with:

[*]German Blue Rams x2 (There is a pair in our aquarium in our shop and they look like they might have paired.)
[*]Kuhli Loach x6
[*]Denison's Barb x6
[*]Whiptail Catfish x2

Would all of these fish be suitable together and if so, is there any more I can add or is the tank fully stocked?

I am planning on planting the tank with some Java Sword, Java Moss, Cabomba, Twisted Vallis and Straight Vallis. Are any of these unsuitable and are there any I should add?

Of course, I will be cycling the tank with an Assassin Snail (and maybe some Zebra Danio, which can be returned to our 15 gallon tank in our living room once I have cycled the tank) for at least 2 months. The reason I decided on an Assassin Snail was the fact that while the plants are cycling with the tank, if they carry any "pest" snails, the Assassin could (possibly) keep the population under control. Also, the substrate will be some sort of plant soil (haven't really looked into it yet) at the bottom and a layer of silica sand on top of that. I will also be adding Mopani wood.

Thanks for reading this and I hope someone can help. :flowers:

So this tank is about 28g? You can't do denisons. Since they reach 6". Not too sure on whiptail cats since I have no experience. German blue rams wouod be okay if added to an established aquarium. I strongly advise to get then when the tank has been running for 4 months.

That's fine; I can cross them off the list. The Whiptails shouldn't attack anything as they are very placid. I was more worried about something else bullying them, whether over food or territory, etc. Do you know any alternatives to the Denison's? I had a feeling they were quite big but to be honest, I just kind of threw a list together of what I liked and came here to find out more about what I should change on it. Better to ask than never know. :)

Is there anyone else who can help me in regards to stocking? I don't know what I can replace the Denisons with. I'm not a big fan of most tetras such as Rummynose and Neons. I think it's because I see them everyday and they don't really interest me anymore.

Is there anyone else who can help me in regards to stocking? I don't know what I can replace the Denisons with. I'm not a big fan of most tetras such as Rummynose and Neons. I think it's because I see them everyday and they don't really interest me anymore.

Rainbow fish? Blue neon dwarf

If I were to get Blue Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, how many would you recommend I get? Also, do they shoal and are they aggressive at all?

Edit: Actually, I don't think that would work. The temperature range between the Rainbow Fish and the German Blue Ram is quite different. The Rainbow Fish like it cooler.

I wouldn't put rainbows in with a gbr. I tried it and the GBR absolutely hated my rainbows. I think their body shape is too similar.

A school of harlequin rasboras would be a nice addition.

I think the whiptail cats will get a bit big for a tank that size. I would go with a bristlenose plec instead.

I've totally changed it now.

AquStockImage.php

What do you think? I opened another thread just there to discuss this but I think it is still being reviewed by the admins (because I'm new).

That should be fine just be sure your Kuhli loaches aren't super small looking more like little worms that might get picked at.

Back
Top Bottom