First tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueAnchors

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank, I have been patient for about three weeks now setting it up and finally I got four red eye tetras and I am planning on getting 2 more. Now I am wondering what else should I put in there? I was never really planning on getting red eye tetras but... they were on sell and I was tired of being patient. :D Can I get some advice please!

Depends on what kind you want or like really. Do you want fancy coulourful fish to look at, fish that will breed etc

Do you know about cycling? Is it a 29 gallon long or tall? What type of filter do you have and how powerful is it? Do you have a liquid test kit? If so what are your water parameters? Sorry for all the questions, but we can't really answer this without some more info. :) welcome to tank ownership!

ahh I forgot to put all the specs, sorry! Well the measurements are 30*12* maybe 22. and I have 0 ammonia and I am not sure on nitrites and nitrates because I think I bought the wrong test kit.... I do know about cycle and I am pretty sure my tank is cycled. I also would like a colorful fish because I want the tetras to be like a back ground fish. Also I want them to be peaceful and like to play in plants!

Deep Seven- first of all I like you name is it suppose to be like deep 6? also I love that website you just posted I think that would really help me! I was just thinking I would love for someone to make a website like that!

Welcome to AA!

What test kit are you using for ammonia? What kit did you get that you thought it was the wrong kit? I would recommend you know what your parameters are before adding anymore fish.

Out of all the tetras, the Red Eyes (Lamp eye; Same thing) are my 3rd favorite (Neons and cardinals are 1st and 2nd). They are great fish, not much of a fin nipper In my experience (Had them with an angelfish. Never really bothered it as far as nipping goes).

Have you considered Cherry barbs or neon tetra? If I were you, I would do: 6 lamp eye tetra, 6 cherry barbs, 6 corydoras, 1 bristlenose pleco (needs driftwood and a algae supply), and a Centre piece fish (Like a goaurmi; Pearl to be specific.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Watch those calculators, use them as a guide, but back up what they say with research. For a 29 gallon you have lots of options, but I'd feel much better helping you stock if I knew the nitrItes and nitrAtes first. I hate to be stubborn, but I don't want to give bad advice.

whoa tyspot1000 that sounds lovely! and all of that will fit in a 29 gallon?

oh p.s I got the API Ammonia NH3/NH4+ Test kit. but it only test for ammonia....

Deep Seven- first of all I like you name is it suppose to be like deep 6? also I love that website you just posted I think that would really help me! I was just thinking I would love for someone to make a website like that!

:D Yes, my first choice when coming up for a name was Deep Six, but I didn't really want the death moniker, and since I spend a lot of my profesional time at around 70 feet below the ocean's surface I went with Deep Seven.

Yeah, that website rocks. It was created by a member of these forums. The only criticism I've heard is that it's too conservative. Well, for new owners, thats not a bad thing. As you understand how your aquarium works, have enough filtration, have a good water change schedual, and know what your fish need to thrive, you can think about overstocking.

Deep Seven- I love it! Personally I spend most of me time at 30-40 below, but to each his own. Secondly love the website once again I feel like I will be less overwhelmed. Thirdly my red eye tetras are all swimming together but one is all by himself... is that normal? lastly I love this website and everyone on here, you guys are so nice and helpful!

he is sick so they kicked him out of the group? :C that is horrible!

Yeah, that website rocks. It was created by a member of these forums. The only criticism I've heard is that it's too conservative. Well, for new owners, thats not a bad thing. As you understand how your aquarium works, have enough filtration, have a good water change schedual, and know what your fish need to thrive, you can think about overstocking.
+1

Check this out: AqAdvisor
this is an article on why to only use it as a guideline

Ya, but it's survival of the fittest! He also could be doing it on his own because he doesn't feel well, like he can't keep up kind of.

Homedog- I have been watching him and I think he is doing it on purpose the group keeps on approaching him like trying to be nice but then is always like "nah". How should I go about finding out what is wrong with him?

Back
Top Bottom