First Tank a 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im new to having an aquarium and im starting with a 10 gallon. Im planning on keeping 2 dalmatian mollies or 4-5 Zebra danios to start with. my plan is if they do well for the next 3-4 month ill upgrade to a 30 to 50 gallon. Depending on how much space i have.

So my first question is, will 2 mollies or 5 danios be fine in a 10 gallon? im also considering an algae cleaner. i love plecos but i know i cant keep any in a 10 gallon so ill wait till i get a bigger tank. so its either between a Mystery snail or glass shrimp. Which is the better cleaner of algae and of leftover fish food? which is more entertaining to watch? which is more hardy(easier to keep alive)? and how many can i keep along with my Mollies or danios?

with these fish in my tank what is the upkeep on my tank? will i have to do a partial water change ever week?

my ammonia is 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, hardness soft about 25, alkalinity 180, and PH is 7.8.

You need an ammonia source to get your cycle started so you need to start adding something to the tank to do that so it can start to cycle. Mollies are recommended for a tank that size. I wouldn't really recommend the danios either as they are very active. I would say something smaller like galaxy rasboras or chili rasboras. They can be ordered if necessary. Also for algae control a pleco is not the way to go, huge bio load. I would say a nerite snail 5 galaxy rasboras/chili rasboras/endler guppies and maybe 3 ghost shrimp. That should be a nice stock for a tank that size. A 50% pwc once a week will be good, the smaller the tank the harder to maintain water quality. I would also recommend some sort of live plants. For a beginner a lot of places including chain stores carry Anubias attached to driftwood and morimo moss balls they are extremely easy to maintain and most stock lights take care of the light requirements. The plants help maintain your nitrate levels once your fine cycling.

Mollies are not recommended for a tank that size neither are danios sorry I should have proof read first.

tomasm87 said:
Im new to having an aquarium and im starting with a 10 gallon. Im planning on keeping 2 dalmatian mollies or 4-5 Zebra danios to start with. my plan is if they do well for the next 3-4 month ill upgrade to a 30 to 50 gallon. Depending on how much space i have.

So my first question is, will 2 mollies or 5 danios be fine in a 10 gallon? im also considering an algae cleaner. i love plecos but i know i cant keep any in a 10 gallon so ill wait till i get a bigger tank. so its either between a Mystery snail or glass shrimp. Which is the better cleaner of algae and of leftover fish food? which is more entertaining to watch? which is more hardy(easier to keep alive)? and how many can i keep along with my Mollies or danios?

with these fish in my tank what is the upkeep on my tank? will i have to do a partial water change ever week?

my ammonia is 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, hardness soft about 25, alkalinity 180, and PH is 7.8.

Honestly, those fish are not good choices for a ten gallon. The Mollies can get to over four inches and are relatively heavy waste producers. The Danios are very active fish and need some room to swim and do their thing. No Pleco should be in a ten gallon tank.

If you started with a larger tank now instead of upgrading later you will likely be much happier. Larger tanks are not necessarily more work as they stay more stable because of more water.

Yes, you should do a water change every week. It keeps the water stable by keeping the bad nutrients (nitrates and other gunk) down and good nutrients (minerals and such) up.

How are you cycling this tank? "Fish-in" or "fishless"?

blert im running a fishless cycle its been running for a week now.

thanks for the advice, thats why im here. :)

ill go with the guppies. i like there colors.

so what about the algae cleaners? should i have both snails and shrimps?

First off, welcome to fishkeeping. We just restarted our 29 gallon aquarium and I do have 6 danios in there. They are great fish but I agree with BlaseMrNiceguy they are super active - like 2 year olds in a candy store on a sugar rush. You do need to cycle first. There are a few ways to do this - you can use an ammonia source or you can crumble up fish food and add a bit each day to let it begin decaying and releasing ammonia. Both ways have their pros and cons. I've only cycled using the fish food method and I also added some nitrifying bacteria that I bought at only local fish store that actually have people who work there who also keep fish and are knowledgeable. The rasboras are a good suggestion and they are very beautiful fish. In addition to the 29 gallon I have four 10 gallon tanks. In three I have a single male betta fish. My husband's initial objection to this was that one fish for ten gallons? Talk about a dull tank but I guess one male betta is like one potato chips and he's the reason we actually have the other two. Each of my 10 gallons have fake plants (we are switching to live plants soon and my 29 gallon is planted) and a sponge filter. The sponge filters are super cheap and easy to maintain. You can also but a regulator valve on them to control the strength of their output as Bettas like still waters. They are full on personality. I've also read others stating that they've started a female betta sorority in a 10 gallon with much success. Our fourth 10 gallon has about five platties in it. Anything too active and the 10 gallon just isn't enough space to swim around. Personally if one of my platties died I'd be a little upset, to lose a danio would worry me as to what's going on in the tank but lose one of my Bettas and I'm heartbroken. Each of my boys have their own heaters, Betta hammocks, Indian Almond leaves, and floating ceramic logs to hide in. I guess I just found my perfect fish! What I would suggest to find out which fish would best suit your personality and what you would most like to get our of your tank is to do a web search for Intelligent Aquarium Advisor. Get our your measuring tape and put in the dimensions of your tank, what brand and size filter you have, etc... and to check the box that says "show species only suitable for my tank". This should give you lots of options and will tell you how many of a certain species of fish you can stock in your aquarium and what your weekly water change will need to be. Before you begin the research though I would go ahead and invest in a good liquid chemical water test kit (approx. $30 - $35) otherwise you won't know if the tank has cycled and how far along it is and do some searches on fishless cycling - don't do the paper strip tests as they are notoriously inaccurate. Don't get impatient while waiting for the tank to cycle this is the time to window shop and discover your options. I would check out my local fish stores. Find one with employees who actually keep fish. If they start quoting you the one inch per gallon of water rule I would ask if they actually keep fish. The species activity level, behavior, species natural habitat, and your tank dimensions, filter size, etc... all come into play not just how big a fish is. If you can't find anyone at a local fish store who knows anything about fish then don't worry just make a short list of potential candidates and research. I would still go back into the fish store though to evaluate who has the healthiest fish and who has what species of fish available. Always ask too- just because they don't have a species in stock doesn't mean they can't order it for you. You are starting off right by doing your research first. Just don't lose patience check out that fish calculator to get your short list going. I would also follow BlaseMrNiceGuy's advice in at least looking into doing a planted tank. The only problem I have with this is that personally I bought the 10 gallon aquarium kit a few years ago that came with a filter, hood, etc... To get the tank the way I want it for a betta tank I pulled the filter out and bought a cheap $10 sponge filter, bought a heater, and now I still need to replace the hood to get the flourescent lighting for an artificial sunlight bulb. If you've already bought your 10 gallon in a kit you may want to limit yourself to fish that can take a stronger current and go with artificial plants. Live plants too usually require some type of fertilizer (not expensive) so it really depends on your budget and what you want to get out of your tank. The good news is though that in the long run going with live plants will save money (the bulbs last a LOT longer than the little incadescent ones and you don't have to constantly replace bad looking plastic plants or suck out your gravel with a planted tank plus I think it looks a lot better). If you've already bought your 10 gallon in a kit and don't want to spend additional money to go with a different hood/bulb and /or filter then I would buy whatever plastic/silk plants you like best and get the rasboras or platties. The platties I keep and can tell you they are hearty, come in a wide variety of colors, and are livebearers. Don't worry though the adults will eat the fry so you won't get overrun but if you want to get a larger tank later you can move the adults into the big tank and keep the 10 gallon for the fry allowing them to grow and mature (just make sure you fryproof your filter so they don't get sucked in). They are friendly little fish, eat like pigs, and are fun to keep. They are hardy, great for beginners, don't require a lot of upkeep, and can tolerate high PH levels. The ratio should be at least 2 females per male. They love a heavily planted (either artificial or real) and should have plenty of hiding spaces. A good cheap "cave" or hiding spot is a brand new, never used terra cotta pot turned sideways or a new glass or coffee mug turned sideways. I hope this helps, welcome to fish keeping, and I apologize for the book.

tomasm87 said:
blert im running a fishless cycle its been running for a week now.

thanks for the advice, thats why im here. :)

ill go with the guppies. i like there colors.

so what about the algae cleaners? should i have both snails and shrimps?

If you mix male and female Guppies you WILL have babies, count on it.

There are many choices for some nice nano fish that would fit nicely in a ten gallon.
http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

Snails and shrimp are excellent choices. I don't personally dig snails but shrimp are very cool. You don't necessarily need algae cleaners. Keep them if you like them but algae control is more up to you and your maintenance routine.

I bought a kit and am growing Anubias quite successfully without ever have changing the bulbs. But if you wanted you should be able to find a bulb that would fit your hood for fairly cheap being the tank is so small. I love ten gallons they are pretty easy to set up and you cheap to decorate and maintain even if growing love plants.

i thought about live plants. can i add the fish and plants at the same time? or will i have to add one first then the other? and there easy to take care of? if it will help with the upkeep on my tank ill try it.

tomasm87 said:
i thought about live plants. can i add the fish and plants at the same time? or will i have to add one first then the other? and there easy to take care of? if it will help with the upkeep on my tank ill try it.

You can add plants any time you like. They like the conditions in a cycling tank.

so what about marimo moss ball? can someone tell me about the benefits of the balls compared to other live plants?

Do you know of any other plants you can also go with withoutchanging the Hood/bulb? I really want to go planted in my betta tanks. Also do you remember the brand names of the bulbs/where to purchase that will fit in a standard 10 gallon Hood? Our LFS sells some that will fit but I was informed that the standard 10 gallon Hood wasn't rated electrically to handle them and it would blow out and possibly cause a fire. Have you ever heard of this before? I was disappointed to hear it and don't know if it's true but..... too scared to try it :)

tomasm87 said:
so what about marimo moss ball? can someone tell me about the benefits of the balls compared to other live plants?
Marimo Balls are pretty cool. You drop them in and give them a turn every do often so they don't go flat. Give them a gentle squeeze in old tank water during a PWC to clean them out. Don't squeeze too hard and only squeeze under water.

Abby256 said:
Do you know of any other plants you can also go with withoutchanging the Hood/bulb? I really want to go planted in my betta tanks. Also do you remember the brand names of the bulbs/where to purchase that will fit in a standard 10 gallon Hood? Our LFS sells some that will fit but I was informed that the standard 10 gallon Hood wasn't rated electrically to handle them and it would blow out and possibly cause a fire. Have you ever heard of this before? I was disappointed to hear it and don't know if it's true but..... too scared to try it :)
If it is an incandescent hood then you can get the screw in CFL bulbs. I think they come in 10, 15 and 20 watt. Just make sure to buy the bulbs that will work in your hood. There should be a sticker with it's max wattage printed on it.

So you're fishless cycling but there isn't any ammonia showing in your tank. Are you just letting the tank run? If so, that doesn't cycle it. You need to add an ammonia source to start the cycle. Here's a guide, the first thing it covers is cycling and has links to fishless and fish-in so you can decide how you want to proceed. Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I agree with the above that danios are too active for a 10 and mollys are too large. There are other options though. A school of 8 chili rasbora, celestial pearl danio or ember tetra would be great. You could also add a shoal of 4-6 smaller Corys (Pygmy or Dwarf; C. pygmaeus, C. hasbrosus or C. Hastatus). Other small fish that would work are Endler's livebearers or you could do 2-3 guppies with the Corys.

Smaller shrimp and/or snails would work as well; I'd suggest a nerite snail as they can't breed in freshwater and stay relatively small compared to some others.

I need to check my hoods for wattage :) I didn't know you could get the screw in bulbs in a lower wattage. Our local stores only carry the higher wattage compact screw in bulbs. Guess it's time to go shopping online again. Thank you, you just saved me a bunch of money by not having to change out hoods. The only ones I could find that I knew would fit my tanks are close to $30 each and I have 4 tanks I want to change and go planted with. A big thank you!

what about 3 red fin tetras and 2 peppered cory cats? when to my LFS to get some more supplies while there i bought a moss ball. and i looked at the fish they had and i liked the red fin tetras and peppered cats. are they pretty hardy and a good beginner fish?

I don't really know much about them personally but rummy nose tetras were suggested to us as a nice option for our 29 gallon. I did the search because the rummy nose are a schooling fish and I think most of the tetras tend to be. From what I found online just doing a quick search (so please take this with a grain of salt) so are the red fin tetras. Schooling usually means 5 or more for them to feel secure and be happy. Hopefully someone who has had experience with them will respond or you could start a new thread specifically asking about them. From personal experience I can say that with Cory cats it's definitely the more the merrier like at least six. They are hardy and funny and you can get them in different varieties. A tank of six with peppered or spotted and emerald and albino would look great. The only thing about the cats is they are sensitive to salt and meds. You can still use meds but I think it's something like a half dose that's recommended. You could probably get away with four or five Cory's and a few guppies.

Just a thought but have you considered neon tetras and some ghost shrimp? Also although it's not officially recommended we have successfully kept only 3 Cory cats once. We only did it for about a month though as we were stocking our fish slowly and didn't want to put them in all at once and Bio overload the tank. They were a lot more active in their pack of 6 though. We had a major disease in the tank that came in via contaminated decor and my little lone survivor spends most of his time hiding now. We are rebuilding the tank and he'll get more buddies in a few months. When I had six they were all over the tank. Maybe this was just my experience but they didn't stay on the bottom. Primarily they did but they would swim up to the top especially the albinos for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom