First Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I finally got my API test kit. My tank (20 gal long) has been running for the last couple days (no fish). I just wanted to run ammonia, nitrAte, and nitrIte tests to get the hang of how it's done and just out of curiosity. It's kind of fun - like having a little chemistry kit when you were a kid :D

So here are my readings:

ammonia = 0.5 ppm
nitrIte = 0 ppm
nitrAte = 0 ppm

So I need to get ammonia to get the cycle started. I think I read somewhere (I have been reading so much, my head is starting to spin a bit! :confused:) that I need to get "pure" ammonia and that if I shake the bottle and there are bubbles that it is NOT pure ammonia? Is that correct? Any suggestions on where would be best to look for pure ammonia?

The "wonderful" journey of cycling a tank...

AgilityIG said:
so I need to get ammonia to get the cycle started. I think I read somewhere (I have been reading so much, my head is starting to spin a bit! :confused:) that I need to get "pure" ammonia and that if I shake the bottle and there are bubbles that it is NOT pure ammonia? Is that correct? Any suggestions on where would be best to look for pure ammonia?

LOL :p about the "head starting to spin"...that is GOOD!!! (in a crazy sorta way!):smilecolros: that means you are doing your research!!! As a newbie myself, PLEASE don't give into the temptation of adding fish before the cycle ends...is not worth it!!! Get your tank cycled and then add your fish, SLOoooWLY!! If something I am trying to "practice" in fishkeeping is PATIENCE!!! So GOOD LUCK and welcome to AA!!!

Kudos for going fishless for your cycle. It's tough waiting it out, but it's really much less stress and work.

ok... I made my Trip to ACE and found: "Amonia - janitorial Strength Formula" it says that it contains 10% ammonium hydroxide (and no bubbles when I shake it) - tell me I bought the right thing!!

+1

For full disclosure, I didn't know any better and I cycled one of my tanks with ammonia with surfactants. It's been up and running for 6 months without an issue. Guppies and RCS have been breeding like mad. Maybe it was the water changes, maybe I just got lucky, but I'd try it again. Not sure what they use for surfactants in ammonia, but all a surfactant does is it reduces the attractive forces between the molecules so the ammonia spreads out on a flat surface instead of beading up.

dont smell it! it'll knock you on the floor!!!

Funny you mention that...In a bout of incredible stupidity, while adding ammonia to my tank, without even thinking, I took a GIANT wiff. It knocked me down on my butt, ugh. Burnt my nostrial right down to my lungs. Like my Dad always said, "There is no point in being stupid unless you show it.".

LOL - just put the ammonia in my tank - just opening the bottle was enough for me!! YUCK.

Back
Top Bottom