first time cycling tank. Taking a while...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Everyone,
I am doing a fishless cycle, with ammonia. Its been over a week and no nitrites show yet. Here are the specs:

Tank size: 100 litre/26gallon

Filter: Aquaclear 70 (1135 L per hour/300 U.S. gal per hour)
I put custom media in aquaclear filter, such as marine pure balls,matrix, and several sponges on the top of bio filter. Took out carbon. Won't use it.

Heater: eheim jager 150 watt. Set to 24 degrees/75F

No air pump. (massive surface agitation from filter.)

PH levels: 7.8
Amm levels: 2 to 3 ppm
Nitrite levels: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

I started cycling on the 5th august. I used seachem prime water ager with water I put in tank. Let the tank run for 24 hours. Then on the 5th August, added clear ammonia to tank, over 2 days to reach the 2 to 3 ppm.
Its now 13th Aug, and no nitrites yet?
Is this normal? Should I wait more? Not sure in what to do. Haven't really touched anything.
My water levels are going down from evaporating. Not sure what to do about that.

You are fine for now. Keep an eye on your ph & wait for nitrite. As for the water lvl due to evaporation you can do this. Get an empty clean 1gallon jug & treat with prime. When lvls go down in your tank bring it up.

You might be able to speed up the process a tab by setting up a heater to 85. If tanks are close to them temps just leave it alone.

i've read in alot of threads and on a few other forums that seamchem stability is a good way to help your tank along on its cycling, some will say its not good, but ive had good luck with it with my plant in cycling i started my tank a week and a half ago, tried fish, they all died, let the tank cycle for 7 days using stability and my tank was fish ready, you might ask about it, it did well for me and there are other threads from people doing fish in and fishless cycling that have good outcomes

Back
Top Bottom