First time fish owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meagan.Marie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been doing some research and discovered that right now the 1 gallon bowl I have each of my two male bettas in isn't big enough. (don't worry they are in two seperate bowls.) I ordered two 2.5 mini bow aquariums while they were onsale at petsmart because I just feel so bad for the little fishes in their little bowls and I know that 2.5 gallons is quite small too, but I live in a dorm and my dorm room is small so I don't have room for a 5gal tank, let alone two of them. My bettas Merlin and Harry Potter are awaiting their new homes, They are supposed to be in on Tuesday. I am looking for a heater that is appropriate for these size tanks and i prefer not to spend over 20 dollars per heater. (working as a student employee at the library does not exactly pay well) but its my undergrad so it is to be expected. anyways sidetracked. Back to the aquarium.

Should I cycle them and if so for how long. I don't plan on having the full set up till after the 16th Until then I just do water changes in their bowls about every 4 days. Religiously. it is time consuming after awhile.

As far as plants go. Should I do live or plastic? I am not sure just because of the size of these tanks. As well as the only fish store that sells live plants where I live sold me two sick bettas when I first started out. I picked them out because I wanted to save their lives. (they looked sickly to start out with) They ended up dying within the week it was sad. The other pet store sells reasonably priced plastic plants like 2-5 dollars for big ones. She is a great person so I am almost leaning towards plastic just to give her some business :) Any ideas. She sold me the two bettas I have now btw and I have had them for 2 months and they are going strong. they dance when I walk near the bowls. Its cute.

Please help me. I am just trying to get my Bettas out of their bowls. :jump:

If you want, you could cycle the aquariums, but if not, go ahead and setup the tanks and put them in. With a partial water change everyday (To keep ammonia and nitrite down til cycle ends) they should do good.

If you do decide to cycle, just make sure to do a small water change on the bowls everyday also. Really, I think any unfiltered tank needs a Water change everyday in order to keep the fish alive.

I also recommend getting a Liquid test kit, preferably the API master test kit. This is so that you can test accurately.

You could do a few live plants, such as Java fern, java moss, and anubias nana. They dont really need much light and do great in small setups.

If you dont want live plants, you could do fake, but if you do get plastic plants, test them if they are betta safe (by getting pantyhose and rubbing them across the Fake plant, If the Pantyhose get caught, the same might happen to the bettas fins. Really, I would recommend getting silk plants, they have not yet ripped any bettas fins that ive had.)

Hope this helped :)

Yeah It did, I am pretty sure the pet shop lady has silk betta safe plants. She calls me her betta girl so she will take good care of me If i pick something out and need to know. I am watching my fish right now haha they are interesting. I think I will cycle my tank to be on the safe side. Do you have any advice on what testers to get. Also My roommate thinks I should get another fish for each tank. I don't really think it is a good idea but do you have any thoughts on that. I don't want my bettas to get aggressive and fight the other fish.

Thanks for your help though :)

I think a mini hydor heater is what your looking for its only 7 watts kinda big for 2.5g but hey it can be put anywhere in the tank. Try ebay. Where are you from?

That sounds easy enough. When i wish to clean the gravel what do you recommend? I think a vacuum for such a small tank would be rather difficult.

Sorry I am full of questions. I just don't want my fish to die :)

Ohh and should I do some hardscaping? I am afraid it will take away from swimming area.

Let me find a link to a small gravel vac, but vacuuming is not necessary in planted tanks, some people do even vac there gravel.

I wouldnt do any hardscape, but you could if you wanted to. I just think, like you said, it would take room.

Well I will take a look at plants then at the other pet store. Should I add the plants and let them grow a it before i add the fish then. And from what i have read the tank should be cycled before you add plants correct?

Ohh and I use distilled water will this effect the cycle? I cant use the tap water here. It is insanely rediculous. Lets just say people with kidney dialisis can't drink it. I refuse to put my fish in it, even though the pet store guy said it would be okay if i treated it overnight. I don't trust him. (the one that sold me my sick fish)

Plants will do fine in a uncycled tank, Just as long as you met there Care and lighting requirements.

Distilled water should Never be used in an aquarium for any reason. It is not not the same as RO water. Distilled water is basically steam collected from boiled water, It contains nothing.

The water would have to be re-mineralized in order so that the fish would be able to osmoregulate, if not, the fish could die a slow painful death because the water could not flow throughout the fish.

I'm pretty new to cycling, so little advise there. Although you should cycle. But I can tell you petco sells a Tetra heater for 2.5-5 gallon aquariums for under 15$ which gives you the extra couple bucks for the thermometer. I have one in my 5 gallon and it keeps it around 78 and that's decent seeing a's how my apartments like 65:) hope that helps some

I am looking into the tetra heater.

My town doesn't use ro. Usually I treat the water with a conditioner as well as aquarium salt for fresh water fish. What water should I use then?

i will pick one up the next time i visit petsmart. That problem is solved.

Doing research on water :)

Back
Top Bottom