First time setting up a fish tank D: help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PaulieD said:
Hey yea sorry the forum kept logging me out and wont let me upload a picture atm :( i brought a ph test kit and the water is at 7.6 is that okay for a betta?
I added in 3 rocks from my small aquarium (fairly medum rocks) well it looks like 7.6..

It could be higher than 7.6. You may need a high range pH test. Look online for for the API master test kit. Much cheaper than in the stores. Unless the pH is in the 9s (I highly doubt) it will be fine for your Betta. A stable pH is the key not the number itself. Have you added him to the new tank yet? I would advise a 50% water change daily while you are waiting on a proper test kit.

also when i was at the pet store there was a ph stebilizer thing it makes it 7.0 is taht good?

PaulieD said:
also when i was at the pet store there was a ph stebilizer thing it makes it 7.0 is taht good?

Nope. Nasty stuff that. It could cause huge swings and stress or kill your Betta. Best to leave it be. Look up YouTube on how to properly acclimate fish. They need to get use to the water temperature AND the pH, etc.

I just used the guideline they gave on liveaquaria.com it is easy to follow. You can order your test kit online - just do a search. Amazon , drsfosters, it is everywhere!

Hey guys! So i added my little uy into the fish tank about 4days ago and.. i must say he looks super happy he swims like a crazy fish and i dunno just looks much happier :)

I have hwever noticed that my plants are starting to die a little i dont feel like this should be happening their only about a week or two old why is this happening? i have a piece of driftwood with a plant already on it, that is my main concern seeing as i paid 40$aud for it i dont want it to die D: it looks like its staing to do the same thing as my other plants .... some leaves are dying... i also have plant food which i have been giving once a week :(
any advice?

(also sorry about posting late cuz my net was a bit efed D:)

11wx1? is what it says on my box....is taht bad >< fml

well it says its
compact fluoreescent lighting system:
*high efficency bulb
*3x brighter than traditional fluorecent lighting
*5x longer life
*energy saving rellable ballast

PaulieD said:
well it says its
compact fluoreescent lighting system:
*high efficency bulb
*3x brighter than traditional fluorecent lighting
*5x longer life
*energy saving rellable ballast

No numbers? Like 5000k or 6500k?
If you can't find out what the bulb is rated at I'd suggest buying a new one that you know the rating of.
Also what plants do you have?
A lot of the time plants go through an acclimation period when first introduced to a tank. This could be the reason also.

okay i looked at the bulb and it says pl- 18w= 10000k
i just changed some of the water and cleaned up the plants one of them was really dirty im not sure how that happened...

PaulieD said:
i just changed some of the water and cleaned up the plants one of them was really dirty im not sure how that happened...

When you say it's dirty, do you mean like a rusty brown colour powder coating it? Because that could be diatoms. These are extremely common in new tanks and should go away on their own.

PaulieD said:

PaulieD said:

Ok cool. 10000K will grow plants :) but 6500K is better. No need to change the bulb if you don't want to.
http://infographics.myaquacalc.com/?p=333
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/62876-plant-deficiency-picture-diagram.html
Here are some plant deficiency diagrams. If it continues have a look at them. I'd say the plants are still getting use to your tank but it's hard to say without pictures and knowing what kind they are.

When you say it's dirty, do you mean like a rusty brown colour powder coating it? Because that could be diatoms. These are extremely common in new tanks and should go away on their own.

sort of? i had to rub the brown of my plant... is that what it was?

Ok cool. 10000K will grow plants :) but 6500K is better. No need to
So it should be okay... im still worried ><

thank you so much guys :)

ahh awesome thanks a bunch! do u have an iphone? is that where ur app is on? cuz i have t on my iphone and it wont let me post or reply on it...

PaulieD said:
ahh awesome thanks a bunch! do u have an iphone? is that where ur app is on? cuz i have t on my iphone and it wont let me post or reply on it...

Yeah I use the iPhone app. We have a love/hate relationship. Hahaha! My phone and/or the app has many issues.
Have you tried deleting the app from phone and computer then updating phone with computer (without app). Then download app again? That works in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom