Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Exclamation First time setting up a fish tank D: help!

Hi! SO its my first real fish tank, at the moment i have a small 2 litre tank for my fighting fish he was a present from my bf :P because i got fish crazy one day....
Anyway i am moving him to a 32 litre and have already washed the gravel, fillied it up with water, added a heater, themometer, plants and also put in the Stress coat and stress zyme. My aquarium already has a sponge filter and also it has lights... it also came with activated carbon (i soaked these to get rid of dust) and... i forgot what their called >< the white rings

Its been ...3days since i filled it up when is it okay to put Taco in? (my fighting fish) When i first got him i put him in the small tank basicly straight away is it the same with a bigger fish tank?

Also any amazing advice would be great

Thanks in advance for helping!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, it's not okay.

You need to cycle the tank first. Please read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Typically, a tank takes 4-6 weeks to cycle. You will have to do daily 50% water changes in that small tank that he's in.

Also, in your future posts, could you please use a larger font? I found it really hard to read your post. I wouldn't want to miss anything. Welcome to the forum!

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fish-In cycling is OKAY don't let people tell you otherwise. Depending on the size of the betta a 32L tank (8.5ish US gallons). So long as you keep up water changes, you don't have to be completely religious about it, but 30-50% every 1-3 days your betta will remain perfectly healthy.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #4

I agree as long as you choose a hardy fish them fish in cycles are fine. Zebra danios are one of the best for this which is what I used but a betta is ideal too.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

if you are moving everything from the small tank to the larger tank you can just move your filter media with you and then your tank should be fine. is your 2L cycled?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
No, it's not okay.

You need to cycle the tank first. Please read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Typically, a tank takes 4-6 weeks to cycle. You will have to do daily 50% water changes in that small tank that he's in.

Also, in your future posts, could you please use a larger font? I found it really hard to read your post. I wouldn't want to miss anything. Welcome to the forum!
Really?! I hope your not suggesting fishless cycling the tank while the fish sits in the 2L container.

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

2L is VERY small. The sooner you can get him in the larger tank the better. Does he have a heater? Bettas/fighting fish like to be kept at 27*C.
I'd suggest moving him across and doing a fish in cycle in the larger tank. I'm assuming the 2L bowl doesn't have a filter?

Welcome btw!
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Going to agree here with Mumma, that is a small place even for a betta. Fish in-cycle is best bet, and your going to have a very very happy fish. Good Luck! And have to add I like the font :p
20 Gal Saltwater
Andy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

What all did you have in the other tank? If it had gravel, a filter, decorations, etc- I'd just put the gravel in a mesh sack and set it in your new tank with te old decoration(s) and filter (if you had one) and then take it out in a month. Your tank might already be cycled if you just move your stuff over- its not like you added any fish/bio-load. If you didn't- then you're starting from scratch. But that info would be helpful. What was in the old tank?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
Really?! I hope your not suggesting fishless cycling the tank while the fish sits in the 2L container.
No, if I was suggesting fishless, I would've posted that link.

Thought I'd referred to moving the fish to the larger tank, but see that I didn't. Mea culpa.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB

No, if I was suggesting fishless, I would've posted that link.

Thought I'd referred to moving the fish to the larger tank, but see that I didn't. Mea culpa.
I thought it must have been a mistake! You had me worried :/

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com