First time (sunburst wag platys) need help :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, I'm new here as I was googling for help I came across this site and thought it was really informative. I just got my first fish to start a new hobby. I started small and bought two cute little (sunburst patys) I just got home with them and they are still wrapped up in bag. Aquarium is already been set up since earlier today. Not sure what to do... Should I open the bag and let them breathe more while in bag and how long so I wait to put them in tank? They're alone together with no other fish. Not sure what to do and was hoping someone could help?

Gio

Hi and welcome. Has the tank had a nitrogen cycle done or is it brand new? Did you put a water condishiner in to remove the chlorine the other chemicals? If not do you have something like tss starter that put the bacteria in the water to start a fish in cycle? I let the bag with fish sit in the water for an hour to get the temps the same, Then you can take a quater of the water out and add in the same amt of water from the tank. Do that two or three times and then net the fish out of the bag and put them in the tank. Discard all the water that came from the store down the drain. Look up the nitrogen cycle info for starting a tank. Good luck with your new fishies... Alison:)

Thank you so much Alison! Yes I just got everything today. It's two little sunburst wag platys.. Never had them before but interested in having them as let's to start my new hobby like all of you here. I'm new to all of this and the pet shop owner told me I could keep two in a 2 gallon tank as long as it gets clean every week. And another guy tells me to keep them in a 10 gallon tank. So I got both to get the proper advice. Also been watching (Dustin's fishtank) on YouTube he's seems very savy on fish.

You need the 10 gal at least for the platties as they can get 3 inches long at full size. They are livebearers and will give you lots of baby fry. Very pretty fish. Let the two get adjusted to the tank for a couple of weeks. Then if your water is okay you can add a couple of weeks so the water can keep your cycle going.:) Alison

Their are a lot of more experienced people on here that I am sure will come along with better advice but it is at least a start..Alison:fish2:

Reactions: Gio
Quick question.. If I want to add more water to the tank, how would I go about doing that? It's not as full as I wanted to be so i want to add more. Any particular process recommended? ;)

Oh, and how often do I feed them and what kinds of food can I feed them? Thanks again for the time :))

Sorry Gio, I fell asleep. It is tough to get old. I feed my fish 2 times a day. a dry flake food. Just a small amount that they can finish in a couple off min. I also give them meals a couple of times a week of frozen blood worms, or frozen baby brine shrimp. To add water to the tank, make sure it is the same temp as the tank water and that you have put the amt of dechlorinator in it first. Then I use a 2 cup glass measuring cup and pour it into the cup and then with clean hands I put one hand against the glass on top of the water and just pour the new water in my hand. That way you don't disturb the plants, or the bottom of the tank. You could also use say a gallon jug that you have treated and just do the same thing only pour it slowly . I just don't have the hand strength for that. The frozen food come in little cubes at the fish stores in a little freezer and I just scrape off the amount I need then wrap and back in the freezer. ... Alison:fish2:

Thank you again!! You're a life saver! I'll get some frozen blood worms from the pet store. :)

Before I forget I take a little spoonful of water from the tank and put it in a small container, then put the frozen amt of worms or shrimp in and let it unthaw,just a few minutes, then dump in the tank. Alison.(y)

I love it! Great advice! Gonna try it today. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They're doing very well! Happy and very active. I named them "Frodo" and "Zelda" as I'm a huge vintage game a movie fan. :)

Now trying to figure out how to properly clean the rank and transfer them from out and then back in :(

Sure, just wanted a head start mentally on any cleaning tips if any. Don't want do anything wrong. Filter does it's job and all is good just wondering if you have any tips in advanced :)

They have self priming water vaccums with a 6 foot hose, we paid 9.00 on sale at petco. You push it up and down in the gravel and it cleans id and also drains water. The instructions come with it. You can use a turkey baster to suck up little bits of poop or whatever from the bottom. once the tank has cycled, you do partial water changes. first turn off the filter and heater. Then drain about a quarter of the tank of water. Leave the fish in the tank. then replace with fresh treated ,
dechlorinated water that is the same temp as the tank. Once you get a kit to test your water about once every week or two for the water change.. I have the Api master test kit. You shouldn't need to ever dismantle the tank and then scrub it out. Alison:)

If you don't have a headache yet I thought of a couple of other things. When I float a bag of fish in the tank ,turn off the lights so as not to stress the fish then turn them back on after the new fish are in the water. You can also use airline tubing to drain water from the tank as well. Just fill it up under the faucet till it comes out the other side , then keep a finger over each end and lower one in the tank and the other into a pail that is lower than the tank.release the ends and the water will start to drain into the pail. Have you added any tetra safe start yet, or whatever brand you choose? That will add the good bacteria that you need, and with fish in the tank it should be done with the nitrogen cycle in two weeks.....Alison:D

Wow! Thank you for all if that helpful input. You've answered every question I had in mind to ask also. Haha you sure know allot about fish and tanks. Especially the tiny things most of us forget. I had no idea about any of those things. I'm thankful I came here I met you. All this info is amazing.

Gio, glad I could help. I have had fish on and off since age 8 with my first guppy tank. I have not had any now for probably 20 years with my last at that time being 8 bettas. I had an overwhelming urge for another fish and bought a betta, Then bought a 10 gal complete Startup kit and it was like things have changed in the last 60 plus years. Ray wanted a community tank so I set up a blackwater, planted, tank around a school of 6 neon tetras, Then added 3 glowlight tetras, 4 ghost shrimp, and 3 ember tetras, and will be picking up 3 more embers today to complete their school and then the tank is finished. I am overstocked but they are all very small fish with small bioloads and with the live plants ,water tests and water changes I am not worried about it. They are all very active and all over the place. Did you try the bloodworms yet? It is a great hobby and lots of fun. Alison

Wow! That's amazing!! I can't wait to get there. You're inspiring me to continue forward with my hobby and out it into gear. This is a great start for me. Zelda and frodo are very happy and I will be picking up the blood worms today and try your cool spoon thawing tactic. :)

Should I feed them regular food the same as always then blood worms? Or should I not feed them on a day and then give it to them? You mentioned live plants... Any recommendations? So many questions haha sorry

Back
Top Bottom