First time trying a fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5andy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently trying my first fishless cycle. I have NO experience but want to do this right. Im 2 weeks and so far nothing has changed since day 1. My ammonia is at 4 and my nitrites are 0. Ph is 7.6. Just wondering if I'm being impatient or if there is something I should be doing.

I have a 29 gallon tank I dosed ammonia to 4 and used dr tims one and only the first day and kept my filter off for 24 hours after.

I've been reading a lot and I'm not sure if my ammonia is to high. I seem to see some people say to have it at 2 and no higher while others say anything below 5 is ok.

Any advice would be appreciated! I didn't know anything about cycling until after we bought the tank.

Thanks!

It can take 4-6 weeks. At 2 weeks I would think that some of the ammonia would start getting converted to nitrite.
I'm curious as to why the filter was shut off for 24 hours. Was that stated in the Dr Tims instructions? It seems counterproductive (you want the bacteria to become established in the filter).

It can take 4-6 weeks. At 2 weeks I would think that some of the ammonia would start getting converted to nitrite.
I'm curious as to why the filter was shut off for 24 hours. Was that stated in the Dr Tims instructions? It seems counterproductive (you want the bacteria to become established in the filter).

Yes it was in the instructions to leave it off for 24-48 hours. I was thinking that it was starting to be a little long for none of the ammonia to be converted too.

Yes it was in the instructions to leave it off for 24-48 hours. I was thinking that it was starting to be a little long for none of the ammonia to be converted too.

That seems odd that they would provide this advice because ideally you would want ample circulation and aeration in the tank (increased O2, increased processing of nitrogenous wastes, increased bacterial growth and reproduction) and you would want the BB to become established in the bio-media of the filter.
Of the bacteria-in-a-bottle products available, Dr. Tim's is one that hear the most positive reviews on. I've found that established media can be highly effective in cycling a tank.

That seems odd that they would provide this advice because ideally you would want ample circulation and aeration in the tank (increased O2, increased processing of nitrogenous wastes, increased bacterial growth and reproduction) and you would want the BB to become established in the bio-media of the filter.
Of the bacteria-in-a-bottle products available, Dr. Tim's is one that hear the most positive reviews on. I've found that established media can be highly effective in cycling a tank.

Like I said I've never done this before and just started learning. Should I add another bottle? Is there something else I should do or test while I wait for things to get started?

Hi there :fish1:

This is my first time trying a fishless cycle as well (also my first tank so no seeding material). I started the cycle 11 days ago, I've also been keeping the ammonia (from Ace hardware store) at 4 ppms (it has marginally gone down) and no nitrItes to be seen. I also used Seachem Stability which is supposed to boost the process (I used it for the first 7 days as per the instructions).

I had a terrible algae problem and couldn't stand looking at it anymore so I took out the decorations, scrubbed them and did a full water change 2 days ago. Hopefully that doesn't mean its back to square one. :banghead:

I've done a lot of research and have followed instructions from other members on this site closely but no nitrites yet. We'll just have to play the waiting game I suppose :whistle:

Don't worry... Fishless cycling is very simple. It's my first time doing it and I'm doing it for my planted 55.

All you have to do is start with one dose of Ammonia (equaling about 5PPM) (5 drops per 10 gallons) and wait until that starts decreasing. At this point you want to keep the ammonia levels steady for bacteria to feed.

Once you can dose 5-8 PPM of Ammonia one day and the next day your readings are 0, you're good to go!

I feel like I missed something so someone will probably correct me. ?

Hi there :fish1:

This is my first time trying a fishless cycle as well (also my first tank so no seeding material). I started the cycle 11 days ago, I've also been keeping the ammonia (from Ace hardware store) at 4 ppms (it has marginally gone down) and no nitrItes to be seen. I also used Seachem Stability which is supposed to boost the process (I used it for the first 7 days as per the instructions).

I had a terrible algae problem and couldn't stand looking at it anymore so I took out the decorations, scrubbed them and did a full water change 2 days ago. Hopefully that doesn't mean its back to square one. :banghead:

I've done a lot of research and have followed instructions from other members on this site closely but no nitrites yet. We'll just have to play the waiting game I suppose :whistle:

At least I'm not the only one! It's so frustrating waiting and waiting! Makes me feel like it's not working

It will happen, just be patient . It takes approx 6-8 weeks for the cycle to begin and end tables have itself. Best not to do any water changes until the end of the cycle when 4 ppm of ammonia can be converted and tested at 0 in 24 hrs, otherwise, you may have to start all over again. Get an API freshwater test kit,and test every couple of days, eventually, you will see results. Only do water changes after ammonia and nitrites reading are both zero and nitrates rise to 40- 80ppm.

It will happen, just be patient . It takes approx 6-8 weeks for the cycle to begin and end tables have itself. Best not to do any water changes until the end of the cycle when 4 ppm of ammonia can be converted and tested at 0 in 24 hrs, otherwise, you may have to start all over again. Get an API freshwater test kit,and test every couple of days, eventually, you will see results. Only do water changes after ammonia and nitrites reading are both zero and nitrates rise to 40- 80ppm.

Thanks! I'm trying to be patient! I have been using an API masters kit. Thanks!

Yeah it's been a week since my tank has started cycling and Ammonia is Zero but Nitrites and Nitrates are still sky high. Those bacteria will take longer to grow because they are second and third in the nitrogen cycle.

Back
Top Bottom