First time water test!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I finally got my API water kit test.
It's liquid testing not strips and this are my read:
Ammonia 2.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
pH 7.5

From what I ready the nitrite, nitrate and the pH levels are good reads to freshwater. The only bad thing is the ammonia. I am glad it's not higher then 2.0 which I feel I am on the right path to a healthy fish tank.

Background of tank,
Have it for 3 weeks now, only have done 1 water change of 50% on the second week, temperature is 80 F,
Fish:
2 female guppies
1 goldfish
2 Cory catfish
2 Molly's
3 neon tetra.

I want to know is there any way to lower the ammonia any faster?? And should I add more fish? Or until my fish tank shows 0 ammonia?
Thanks ?

How did you cycle the tank? In a cycled tank you should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and ~20 nitrates.

Also did you shake the nitrate bottle #2 for at least 30 seconds before adding the drops and then the test tube for 1 minute before waiting 5 minutes for a result?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How did you cycle the tank? In a cycled tank you should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and ~20 nitrates.

Also did you shake the nitrate bottle #2 for at least 30 seconds before adding the drops and then the test tube for 1 minute before waiting 5 minutes for a result?

I cycle it with fish on. And I did. They all sat for at least more than 5 min each.

It sounds like your not cycled. Did you use bottle bacteria or seeded material to jump start the cycle?

It sounds like your not cycled. Did you use bottle bacteria or seeded material to jump start the cycle?

I know i am not Fully cycle, cycle takes between 4-6 weeks, and I used bottle bacteria.
And yes I have had fish die in the past. But the ones that I mention below are still swimming :)

Did you add prime? I have heard it can make the ammonia safe for the fish. To remove the ammonia you would have to do lots of water changes though. Once the BB gets rolling it shouldn't be a problem.

Did you add prime? I have heard it can make the ammonia safe for the fish. To remove the ammonia you would have to do lots of water changes though. Once the BB gets rolling it shouldn't be a problem.

Yes I have prime and used it when I first started and every time I change the water, and how often should I do water changes??

Since you are doing a fish-in cycle toy gave to do daily water changes and daily water tests.

I would do a 50% now and another 50% in an hour. As long as your tap is ammonia free that would put you at .5 then any time its above .5 do a 50% change.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't add anymore fish. Your tank isn't cycled- adding more now will only add to the ammonia problem as the tank can't keep up with bio load you have now.

Definitely keep doing 50% water changes daily until you don't have any ammonia.

And what size is the tank? (Sorry I missed that) with a gold fish in there chances are you are already over stocked and shouldn't add anymore anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

2.0 is a huge level of ammonia for a tank. Ammonia is severely toxic to fish, it actually burns their gills.

Basically, to make the tank safe a 50% water change can be done every other hour or so. You want to keep doing this until your ammonia hits 0.25ppm. Then you need to follow through with daily testing and a 50% change any time you get a reading higher than 0.25ppm

2.0 is a huge level of ammonia for a tank. Ammonia is severely toxic to fish, it actually burns their gills.

Basically, to make the tank safe a 50% water change can be done every other hour or so. You want to keep doing this until your ammonia hits 0.25ppm. Then you need to follow through with daily testing and a 50% change any time you get a reading higher than 0.25ppm

+1 this should have been the first response not 11 posts in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom