Fish combination for 35g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AGroucha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone

So since i want happy thriving fish i wanted to run a setup by you guys first.
Tank is without any fish at the moment, but sitting there with a piece of bogwood, some java fern, java moss etc. I have 2x24 Watt tubes for lighting with possibilty of a 3rd if it wont increase temperature too much, so plenty of opportunity to have good plant growth.

Im going to put some BN plecos in there 1,2 or 2,3 or so depending on what you think is right. But if they are compatible id like the idea of putting just a few dwarf cichlids in there with some schooling fish. I've had my eye on the African butterfly cichlid (anomalochromis thomasi) since so far my search has revealed that it should be pretty peaceful.
For the schooling fish im thinking about just a normal black neon tetra since (as far as my search tells me) is a good call for a dither fish.

Would the dwarf cichlids prevent my BN from spawning? Or could i work? I have a couple smaller tanks where i should be able to have the cichlids spawn.

Have anyone tried a setup resembling this? Or just know if it could work or not?

Sounds like you have a good plan in place.. I would stick with one Pleco honestly.. They're extremely messy and can be territorial.. Depending on the footprint of the tank of course.. You could easily do a pair of dwarfs with 2 schools of 6-10 smaller fish.. If anything the Pleco will disrupt the dwarfs spawning, they'll both be on the substrate most of the time so ample caves and structure will be needed. A couple nice hardy plants like swords and crypts will be a nice addition too. Your lights can handle them no problem..

Footprint is 80cm x 40cm (31,5 inch x 16 inch) and so far i've built 5 caves of slate in different sized.
Not sure im familiar with those plants since i got back in this whole aquarium game not too long ago, could you give some longer names for them?
Are 2 schools of 6-10 fish better than 1 school of 15-20 fish?

And thanks for you answer :D

Thats a good amount if floor space.. 2 smaller Pleco's could work, maybe a bull and a bristlenose??keep in mind they're poop machines so it will add to your bio load significantly.. There are many varieties of swords and crypts, you can google them or even better, see what your Lfs has.. One big school would look awesome! 16 black neons would be quite the sight!

Back
Top Bottom