Fish coming tomorrow. pH is too low.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennymph

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tap water is 7.0, my tank water is reading at 6.4
Whilst cycling my tank water was also at 6.4 but it is cycled now and I have 6 Corydoras coming tomorrow as the first inhabitants of this tank. Im really not sure what's going on here but it is stressing me out that I have fish coming tomorrow and the parameters aren't correct. My Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 20. But pH is 6.4.
Any ideas?
(Planning on doing a water change right before I add the new fish)

Fluval Stratum and Sand Substrate. Live plants. Few pieces of decor. 2 Sponge Filters. 1 Fluval 306 cannister. Temp is around 84 but will be lowering this significantly tonight ready for the fish.

My tap water is 7.0, my tank water is reading at 6.4
Whilst cycling my tank water was also at 6.4 but it is cycled now and I have 6 Corydoras coming tomorrow as the first inhabitants of this tank. Im really not sure what's going on here but it is stressing me out that I have fish coming tomorrow and the parameters aren't correct. My Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 20. But pH is 6.4.
Any ideas?
(Planning on doing a water change right before I add the new fish)

Your pH is fine, I wish my pH was 6.4 actually

Attachments

• fish 31.JPG
    fish 31.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 90
Also, you do realize you have a buffering substrate? So no matter what you do your pH will be 6.4.......

Just checked the other species I plan on stocking this tank with and they say 6.5 is fine for those too. Where did you get that info from?

Just checked the other species I plan on stocking this tank with and they say 6.5 is fine for those too. Where did you get that info from?

Internet ... the source of all correct information ;)

Oh, and hundreds of hobbyists who keep cory cats at ~ 6.5 pH

I'm not a big fan of overly maticulus acclimations, but if the water parameters are extremely different between your tank and the bagged water then that's probably the best course of action.
I know that limestone has been branded as aquarium kryptonite, but I use it extensively to hardscape my tanks. It does raise and buffer the ph, but I keep several types of Tetras and Silver Dollar fish that suffer no ill effects.
Might add a chunk of Limestone, or run a little crushed coral in your filter.

I'm not a big fan of overly maticulus acclimations, but if the water parameters are extremely different between your tank and the bagged water then that's probably the best course of action.
I know that limestone has been branded as aquarium kryptonite, but I use it extensively to hardscape my tanks. It does raise and buffer the ph, but I keep several types of Tetras and Silver Dollar fish that suffer no ill effects.
Might add a chunk of Limestone, or run a little crushed coral in your filter.

She has a buffering substrate, so a balance would have to be reached, but as to how much limestone to add? It's a guessing game. Plus that is, IMO, too much work and messing with things to achieve a desired level.

That said, if the bag water is way different, like 8.0 pH, you will have to very slowly acclimate them down to 6.4 pH, best to use your QT if that is the case.

My carbonate hardness is literally 1 drop but General Hardness is 6 drops. I have crushed coral in order to buffer pH. Didn't really want to mess with it that way just in case I screw it up and cause myself more faffing about. Are you suggesting I test the water from the bag when I get them tomorrow? I was going to temp acclimate them and then pop them in a net without any of their old water and straight into the tank. If the pH is close to mine then that's fine and I'll go ahead, but if not I'll stick them in quarantine providing that's all good.

So yeah GH is 6 or 100ppm and KH is 1 or 17.9ppm
Might do a water change now and see the pH level, heard it's not accurate straight from the tap anyway and relies on standing for 24hours for a true reading. I'll check my local waters pH from their website too.

You. Have. Buffering. Substrate.

This means your kH will be 0-1 no matter what you do, your pH will be 6.0-6.4 no matter what you do, the crushed coral is actually accelerating the useful life of your substrate, plants will prefer the softer acidic water, that’s where most fish in the hobby (excluding African species) come from anyway.

gH is good, I agree you should drop the temp sooner rather than later, it could take a long time to drop your temp.

I would temp acclimate them, and or drip acclimate them and put them in.

Too bad we can't switch water supplies, my tap is pouring out stones lol. (A little exaggeration). Congrats on your new fish!
Didn't you use something like Stability to jump start your cycle?

Too bad we can't switch water supplies, my tap is pouring out stones lol. (A little exaggeration). Congrats on your new fish!
Didn't you use something like Stability to jump start your cycle?
I used it but it had no effect at all haha, so I just continued and then a few days ago checked that ammonia would disappear in 24 hours and it did. Took roughly 1 month as I started the tank on 29th December and that's when I dosed the first lot of Ammonia. :)

Sorry for the misunderstanding Im just new to this

No need to apologize ;) I’ve had my fair share of mishaps and I can promise you I’ll have them in the future to, we all have to start somewhere.

The fluval stratum is a buffering substrate, so it will absorb your kH which drives the pH down with it. Over time it will “fill up” and will no longer absorb kH, at that point your water will return to roughly the pH of your degassed tap water.

By adding crushed coral, you are accelerating this process because there is so much more kH in the tank from the coral, and this will “burn out” the buffering ability of the stratum faster.

Ah, nice info on the Stratum, I just knew it was great for plants!
Yeah I know, trial and error and all :')
Thanks again. I'm sure my Corys will be very happy tomorrow when they get in the tank. Well, maybe not at first haha!

Back
Top Bottom