Fish died need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M Riley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings, I have a problem. I've had my 45 gallon tank since this past December. My Ph is @ 7.0 Ammonia = 0 Nitrite = 0 Nitrate = 2.0 water temp is at 82 and holding. I've done partial water changes every 3 weeks w/salt n Prime, and replaced filters once a month. Monday thru today I have lost 2 Red Minor Tetras, 4 Angelfish and 1 more is out of the tank and about to die. 3 of these Angelfish were purchased this past Friday. Non of the fish have shown signs of anything. The just seemed to die on the spot. What can be going on?

What are the fish's symptoms, if any? Are there any spots or sores or anything on them? Are they lethargic? Breathing heavy? How did you acclimate the new fish?

I'd stop the salt; it generally isn't needed in a freshwater tank unless you are treating an illness. Also a pwc every three weeks isn't much, I'd up it to 50% weekly. Also with fish in the tank and water changes once a month your nitrates should be higher (or did you test after a water change?). Also it's best to leave the filter media alone; replacing means you're tossing away any beneficial bacteria that are in the tank and causing the tank to constantly mini-cycle which can be stressful on the fish.

Did you make any changes to the tank othe rthan adding new fish when they started dying? My only gues without more info was that either they were acclimated too fast and/or the new fish were already sick when you got them.

I would gradually lower your temp as well. 82 is high unless you have Ich. Plus the higher the temp, the less oxygen in your water.
I aim for 76-78f

Sorry for your losses. PWCs weekly and drip acclimate and quarantine all new fish in the future.

2ppm Nitrates ?? Do the tests measure that low ?
Can you post a pic of your test and tube of water ?

Stop ALL SALT !! It's too easy to over salt a tank. Angels and plants don't appreciate salt. I've used small amounts in the past , but it does not evaporate.

Big PWC as was recommended. Don't clean your filter, but you can rinse in tank water if needed.

Retest your water after the change.

Back
Top Bottom