Fish died within 12 hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon tank that I bought on Thursday. I let it stabilize for 48 hours and then I put 5 hardy Red Minor Tetras in it. They were doing well for a about 8 hours and then I ran out for 20 minutes and when I came back one was upside down at the bottom of the tank between the heater and the glass. Ammonia low and nitrites and nitrates at 0. HELP!!!

Welcome to the AA family. Your tank needs to be cycled properly or you need to know how to do fish in cycle.

Follow the link the above poster sent out. Good luck and sorry you lost your fish.

So even if the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels are fine they can still die? The fish was head pointing down and was between the heater and the glass. I have read about cycling but I thought it would take until the toxic levels started to go up for them to die, not right off the bat

You had to beneficial bacteria and your tank wasn't cycled. It needs to be cycled or if a fish in cycle you need to test test and test and do a lot of water changes. Did you use a dechloronator?

I'm not sure it would happen that fast.
A lot of times you can end up buying really crappy, inbred, unhealthy fish that just aren't strong and die a lot easier than others.

I'm also wondering about the dechlorinator

I agree with everyone above: Step 1. Dechlorinated Water Step 2. Proper cycle and I would say a lot of LFS will allow you to bring a dead fish back for a new one, but I know the ones near me require a water sample to ensure the tank is cycled.

How did you acclimate them? I agree, your tank does need to cycle, but I wouldn't think toxin levels would rise that fast unless you had way too many in there.

christine2012 said:
How did you acclimate them? I agree, your tank DOES need to cycle, but I wouldn't think toxin levels would rise that fast unless you had way too many in there.

Maybe he (sorry if your not a he, I just assumed because of the name) was planning a fish-in cycle, the OP did state that they purchased hardy tetras, I agree that the toxins wouldn't rise that fast but if the fish was sick or weakened, it might not be able to handle
1. The stress from the move
2. The shock of the new tank with different water conditions
3. The shock of being put into a tank with traces of ammonia when it more than likely came from a cycled tank.
My advice to the OP, keep up with water changes. Water changes can be your best friend when it comes to fish-in cycling. Monitor your levels closely, and don't be afraid to ask any questions :)

butterfly_koi said:
Maybe he (sorry if your not a he, I just assumed because of the name) was planning a fish-in cycle,
I understand that. Wasn't my point at all. Fish in cycles are just fine and dandy by me. I think my post was misunderstood.

christine2012 said:
Yeah? I understand that. Wasn't my point at all. Fish in cycles are just fine and dandy by me. I think my post was misunderstood.

No it wasn't misunderstood, I apologize if it seemed like I singled your post out that was not my intent at all, I more quoted you because I agree that the level of toxins wouldn't rise that fast. But some of the posts stated that the tank needed to be cycled properly and maybe that is what the OP was trying to do, was start a fish-in cycle. I'm sorry Christine if I came off as rude :)

butterfly_koi said:
No it wasn't misunderstood, I apologize if it seemed like I singled your post out that was not my intent at all, I more quoted you because I agree that the level of toxins wouldn't rise that fast. But some of the posts stated that the tank needed to be cycled properly and maybe that is what the OP was trying to do, was start a fish-in cycle. I'm sorry Christine if I came off rude as :)

No no! No worries! My apologies lol as it was your post that I had misunderstood ;)

Back
Top Bottom