Fish disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nystina

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, i just noticed my black neon tetra has a white/brownish patch on its body. It is breathing heavily, not eating and i also noticed that its stomach looks like its full of some brown liquid or something.

To describe the patch in more detail, it looks like it rubbed up against some sandpaper or something. (looks rough)
sickTetra.jpg

Does this look like a disease? or possibly just an injury (like getting caught in a filter/pump)?

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Black Neon

2~What are your tank parameters
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10
temp: 78 deg. farenheit
pH: 6.6

3~ How large is the tank? 50 gal
How long has the tank been set up? i believe it's done cycling, that's a tough question to answer without going into alot of details

4~What type of filtration are you using? Rena XP3 350 gph

5~How many fish are in the tank?
6 black neons @ 1.25" long
5 Black phantoms @ 1.25"
3 angelfish @ 2" body diameter
1 pearl gourami @ 3" long
2 true SAE's @2" long

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? been a while since i've done a gravel vac cause of plants, but i do weekly 25-50% water changes

7~How long have you had the fish? 8 months or so

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? just hooked up a UV sterilizer to a mini-pump and started adding CaCl2 to RO water

Thanks everyone!

It is very difficult to judge the cause of your problem, and an accurate diagnosis is difficult. Is this the only fish infected? It doe not appear to be a parasite, so if this is the only infected fish then I would suggest euthanizing the fish, or at least removing it to a separate aquarium for treatment.

If pushed to a guess, I would say that you had a bacterial infection, which could have been caused by a wound from fighting. Your CAE are probably the culprits, if this is the case. The white growth is likely Lympnocystis, which is much more common than a true fungal infection. I would treat with an antibiotic, if you decide to treat. Whatever you do, do not treat the fish in the display tank if it is the only infected fish.

Back
Top Bottom