Fish drowning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stardaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I've added a few more fish to my tank been up and running for about a mouth and a half now and I've added a few more fish but looked like there drowning can any one help me please why there are doing this and how to stop it thanks Russell

Yes it was and then ended up at the bottom of the tank was fine then started looking like it was hard to breath for it 5 mins later was at the bottom off the floor dead and not sure why

Do a water test if possible and let us know the parameters.

Change out a large amount of water (50% to begin with).

What size is the tank?

How many fish?

Filtration?

Water movement?

I've only got one of them 6 in one test as still waiting for it and I have 120 liter tank in tank filter 15 neon tetra 2 koi catfish 2 pleco 6 Molly's and 6 guppies

Do another water change is my only current advice, i had this problem when my filter wasn't running enough water and causing enough surface agitation to oxygenate the water. A large water change will get some oxygen into the water for a start...

About 6-7 weeks and you think doing a water change will solve it and save them from drowning

About 6-7 weeks and you think doing a water change will solve it and save them from drowning

They aren't drowning. Fish stay at the surface when there is low oxygen exchange. Try and lower your water level so the filter let's the water fall and yes do a 50% water change. It won't fix the problem but it will help it

You should use liquid test kits. Strips aren't to accurate. Also, if it's from low oxygen just add and air pump or point your filter outlets towards the top more to increase surface agitation to allowing oxygen to enter the water...

They aren't drowning. Fish stay at the surface when there is low oxygen exchange. Try and lower your water level so the filter let's the water fall and yes do a 50% water change. It won't fix the problem but it will help it

What do you mean they aren't drowning?

Yer I have done that I pulled the filter up to the top of the tank so it puts more water across the top of the water with more air bubbles in too

Well obviously fish can't drown as they breath water. They are gasping at the surface for an unknown reason
But they don't breath the water. The absorb the oxygen out of it... No oxygen means taking in water with no oxygen. Kinda like drowning..

Not as bed as they was now I have moved the filter up to spray more water out

Sounds like u need to break the water surface, don't really need bubbles to form just get a nice wave/ripple. I had the same problem when adding more water to my turtle tank, went above the internal filter so it wasn't producing the ripple anymore and next day all my fish were chilling at the top of the water. I personal dont like the airbubble noise so I went with a wave-maker

Back
Top Bottom