Fish dying in new tank :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess my 2 cents here is...

Jaylah why cant you get more specific on your numbers as opposed to ranges

29gsaltaquatics that chart is cool but kinda vague

I'm just really mad they insisted (and keep insisting) that cycling with fish in there is better and "faster". I'm going to cycle without till my test results are better.

I do cycle with cheap fish. I have success. I am cycling four new tanks right now. I have only lost one fish. I'll likely lose a few more before its over. It's not "Better". It's a pain in my butt actually. Constant monitoring, careful fish selection and water changes. The first week is the hardest. You need to spike the ammonia, then the nitrite spike comes. After that it isn't so hard, with or without fish.

I guess my 2 cents here is...

Jaylah why cant you get more specific on your numbers as opposed to ranges

29gsaltaquatics that chart is cool but kinda vague

I'm genuinely confused by what you're asking. It implies I don't want to be specific. I'm being as specific as I possibly can be based on these test strips. I have no better way of measuring it right now other than the API test strips.

Yes...I see now the strips.

Api master kit will help serve you well.

Before you go buy any more fish , cycle your tank for six weeks and get a good chemical test set - no paper strips. Six weeks and you will do fine.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

Before you go buy any more fish , cycle your tank for six weeks and get a good chemical test set - no paper strips. Six weeks and you will do fine.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

Yep, that's definitely the plan now. I won't get any fish for at least a month (until my tests are near perfect). This whole experience has been confusing and a bit traumatic but I won't give up. I always wanted an aquarium and I know that it's more than doable. I just should've done better research but I thought "experts" at that fish store could actually, you know, help me out. Not help me kill fish. I'm still so unbelievably angry. They didn't need to die and this could've easily been avoided.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I'll check in in a couple of months with hopefully some good news! :)

I have a few more questions and I know they're on the dumb side but humour me!

1. Since I got my fish tank only yesterday, is it possible to do SW at this point?
2. Is it true that it's far more difficult? Not that the aqua shop in my city has proven to be helpful but they said that "these days" it's as easy as FW. I'm obviously playing by the proper rules this time and not letting anyone talk me into buying any more stuff unless I absolutely need to.
3. What exactly would be the difference?

I'm fully aware I'm a newbie at this so as much as I always wanted a SW tank, I don't know if this is a good idea for a beginner. I've heard both good experiences and horror stories. My friend started with a SW tank and said it wasn't hard or more time consuming (she now has both FW and SW which is ideally what I'd like to do some day)

Ive done both fw and sw. I do think sw is easier today than in decades past. I think in alot of ways sw is easier. However, im saying that after someone is very competent with understanding some basics. Water chemistry, bioloads, fish needs, proper maintenance techniques, ect...

I think a fw aquarists with years of experience can certainly move to sw and be successful.

Everyone is different. If your new to the hobby it really comes down to how much time you can put into educating yourself. And your ability to comprehend and retain that knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom