Fish for 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilmack07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so right now i have a 20g that contains 2 mollies, 3 neon fish, 2 gouramis, pleco, catfish, 2 frogs, 2 snails, and 2 ghost shrimp. Its overstocked and ive convinced my boyfriend that we should upgrade to at least a 55 gallon. I plan on moving most if not all over to the 55 gallon tank. But i want to know what fish i could add?

A few ive came across that have caught my attention are:
Corys
German blue rams
Boesemani rainbow
Swordtails
Albino long fin pleco

No i don't plan on adding all this at one time or anything. Im just wanting to get an idea of what would be good additions so when the time comes i can have it planned out better. Love to hear your opinions. :]

All are good candidates except you may lose your ghost shrimp to Rams. Its a 50/50 chance on that one. I have multiple rams in a 220 and added 24 ghost shimp (young and small) since a friend breeds them and they fish totally ignore them. I also have 13 adult angelfish in there also. But I believe my case it the exception rather than the rule, so to speak.

I would not put the pleco in there if it is a common. It will grow too large but a Longfin Albino BN Pleco would be great. I have one and I really like him. He's easy to see, doesn't grow big, and the albino's I've read tend to be more active during the day and I can honestly say mine is very active during the day. If you wanted another sucker cat to go with the BN Pleco you should look into Whiptail Cats (also referred to as Twig Catfish). They are very unique looking and are more active than what profiles say about them.

From your list, were it me, besides the pleco's I'd get 6 cory's, 1or 2 German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams, and 6 Rainbow fish. That would make for a nice tank IMO. If you go with Rams be sure to add them a few months after the tank has been set up and matured. They do better in a mature tank.

Good luck!

Yea when i first started off i had 5 ghost shrimp, now im down to two but they seem to be sticking it out. xD My pleco is a common, if i would have known about the albinos before hand i would have one of those instead. But i still think he is cool regardless. I will prolly end up putting him in the bigger tank just for the reason they can reach a good size so i'd like him to be comfortable. If anything i can put the albino in the 20g. I will def look into those whiptail cats.

I really like that combination and that's added onto the list i already have right? Yea i read the rams are more sensitive? I will be sure to wait on them. :]] Thank you so much for your advice and input!

What I posted was added to the fish you already have if you want to move them over to the 55g with the ones I listed.

Oh ok sweet I was just making sure. I will see what Kenny thinks about that combo as well. I really do like it thou. Thank you

Hi guys just bought some boesemani rainbows and I'm feeding them tetramin flakes I think there called. There spitting it out more then eating it. Any suggestions or is there a special food for them. I got some dried bloodworms too

You may have to give them a couple days if it's a new food. I use New Life Spectrium Thera A pellets (they are actually little balls) and all my fish love them. Frozen brine is usually greedly taken. If you have to use freeze dried bloodworms, soak them in water first for a few minutes to soften and reconstitute them.

These are sinkable right? I was on amazon and they all say sinkable

If your talking about the New Life Spectrium Thera A, yes they sink but don't dissolve in water for hours.

Getting closer to getting my 55 gallon. Think ill get one for Xmas. I keep telling him I wouldn't mind a 75g thou. Hahaha :) since I have two male gouramis I was thinkin of getting 4 females ( 2 for each male) but I I did that could i still get the rainbows and rams?

Back
Top Bottom