Fish for a 19l/5 gallon Fluval Chi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marbella93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!

I just got a Fluval Chi tank (so gorgeous). It's 19l/5 gallons and I have one live plant and one ornament inside.
I went to the local fish shop today, told them about the tank and left with one betta, 3 rummy nose tetras and 2 african dwarf frogs.
The woman in the shop seemed to really know what she was talking about as she has the tank herself and said they would be ok together because they will be at different levels in the tank etc..
After doing some reading online, it seems I may have overstocked?
They are all very small (I will obviously get a larger tank as they grow).. Will they be ok together?
I've only had them in for a few hours and they all seem pretty happy together..
I am a complete beginner though so want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.. I will obviously take some back if that is what's right..
Please don't shout at me haha

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 77
That is to small for rummies. They need to be in groups of 6 or more, and are too active for a 5 gal tank. There also isn't enough space in a 5 gal tank for a shoal of them. I would take them back to the store.

As for the frog, I can't say anything about them, as I've never had one. Though it may get bullied by the beta.(which will do great in there)

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Heya! Super glad you found AA! Your deco aesthetics are lovely! I have two major concerns. First, betta might get along with the others depending on the individual fish's temperament. Mine haven't ever stayed at the top. I had one in with my shrimp in a 5g long and they got along for a little while. Then the betta got fed up and he got moved to a different tank. I hope you consider a backup plan, just in case. Others here have betta chilling without any issues--depends on the fish himself.

Secondly, did the aquarist get you set up with an API master test kit and maintenance chems? With that many fish in such a small space and only one plant, you'll want to watch your ammonia and nitrates like your fishes' lives depend on it, because they do. Seachem Prime is my favie after years of using Tetra Aquasafe and Safe Start to treat tap water. A tiny bottle will last you ages as you'll only need up to the first cap thread for water changes on so small a tank.

I kind of agree, though, that the cube may work for the betta, but schooling fish like tetra wind up in longer tanks before too much time has passed. If you're going to be using that cube a while (no worries, just be vigilant) I'd really recommend more live plants. Live plants omnom ammonia and nitrates and will give fish places to lurk (think of living in a studio with strangers). I think you might like the look of Brazilian pennywort, like green coins on a string. There's always something on offer in the classifieds and you're always welcome to scroll through the albums and ask after what things are when you like how they look.

Don't fuss yourself if people get grumpy; we've all made mistakes, we've all had mini funerals (varying degrees of ceremony), we've all learned. Don't let grumpies stop you learning and keeping healthy fish. You bought the fish and accepted their wellbeing as your duty, you chose AA for help. You've chosen well, IMO!

Thanks!

Heya! Super glad you found AA! Your deco aesthetics are lovely! I have two major concerns. First, betta might get along with the others depending on the individual fish's temperament. Mine haven't ever stayed at the top. I had one in with my shrimp in a 5g long and they got along for a little while. Then the betta got fed up and he got moved to a different tank. I hope you consider a backup plan, just in case. Others here have betta chilling without any issues--depends on the fish himself.

Secondly, did the aquarist get you set up with an API master test kit and maintenance chems? With that many fish in such a small space and only one plant, you'll want to watch your ammonia and nitrates like your fishes' lives depend on it, because they do. Seachem Prime is my favie after years of using Tetra Aquasafe and Safe Start to treat tap water. A tiny bottle will last you ages as you'll only need up to the first cap thread for water changes on so small a tank.

I kind of agree, though, that the cube may work for the betta, but schooling fish like tetra wind up in longer tanks before too much time has passed. If you're going to be using that cube a while (no worries, just be vigilant) I'd really recommend more live plants. Live plants omnom ammonia and nitrates and will give fish places to lurk (think of living in a studio with strangers). I think you might like the look of Brazilian pennywort, like green coins on a string. There's always something on offer in the classifieds and you're always welcome to scroll through the albums and ask after what things are when you like how they look.

Don't fuss yourself if people get grumpy; we've all made mistakes, we've all had mini funerals (varying degrees of ceremony), we've all learned. Don't let grumpies stop you learning and keeping healthy fish. You bought the fish and accepted their wellbeing as your duty, you chose AA for help. You've chosen well, IMO!

Thanks for the advice!
I'm definitely getting another plant and maybe a little rock for the frogs to hang out on because they keep climbing on the magnetic algae cleaner!
I had the water tested and levels were all good :) I'll definitely check out that Seachem Prime, thanks for the recommendation!
How often do you think I should do a water change/clean? Once a week?

Until things are well and truly sorted, check out http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176446
Prime will help keep your fish from keeling over living in their own waste, but that's a used bandaid on a dirty wound at best. Gross, right? The link is to a thread that will get you on the road to a healthier tank.

There is also an entire thread dedicated to different fish, do a search for your critters and read up. Some of the topics have conversations on nuances of keeping said critter, which is always handy! If you can't find what you need here, Google knows near everything and pulling together pieces from different sources will help give you a complete picture.

Aquarium and fish keeping are science, and new things are brought to light regularly. Keep dates in mind when you're reading. You might realize there's a shift, even if you don't find the catalyst and keeping current will help keep you from being swept away (hurhur, see what I did there).

I own 2 ADF. Be careful with a rock with them as they like to hide under things and can get stuck. Go with a rock that fits nicely down into the gravel so it doesn't move.

The betta may or may notice the frogs. I once had a male betta with and ADF, woke up one morning to just one ADF foot and a fat betta. My female betta lived with an ADF and never noticed it but I separated them because the ADF thought her tail was food and would latch on to her tail.

Also, did you sex your ADF? At the pet store they will just give you whatever they can catch not paying attention to the sex. If you have a male and female expect them to eventually mate. I'm going through this now with the 2 that my boyfriend bought from a chain store.

I own 2 ADF. Be careful with a rock with them as they like to hide under things and can get stuck. Go with a rock that fits nicely down into the gravel so it doesn't move.

The betta may or may notice the frogs. I once had a male betta with and ADF, woke up one morning to just one ADF foot and a fat betta. My female betta lived with an ADF and never noticed it but I separated them because the ADF thought her tail was food and would latch on to her tail.

Also, did you sex your ADF? At the pet store they will just give you whatever they can catch not paying attention to the sex. If you have a male and female expect them to eventually mate. I'm going through this now with the 2 that my boyfriend bought from a chain store.

Thanks for the advice!
I noticed one of the frogs trying to get under the ornament so I've made sure it's flat to the bottom of the tank and he can't get stuck!
The pet shop told me they are both male but I might do some research and make sure this is true as they seem to have given me bad advice about my little rummy noses!
I'll definitely keep an eye on how the Betta is interacting with them as I don't want any tragedies!

Easy way to tell what your ADF are is to look under their armpits. If they have pimple like bumps, they are male (the males also sing when they are sexual mature). The males are also slim and the females are wider.

Hi Marbella,
Welcome! I agree with what's been said so far, definitely would remove the rummy noses. I don't know anything about ADF, sorry.
I did want to add, no matter how confident store employees seem, it always pays to do your own research. A lot of them mean well but don't know any better, or just look to make sales. I've cringed listening to some of the things I've heard in pet stores...
Aqadvisor is a good resource for beginners on suggesting stock levels. Best of luck to you!

2 ADF and a Betta is still a lot for a 5g.

I do just a Betta or maybe add some Ghost Shrimp and plants.

Rummynose def need to go back.

Or stick with just the ADF but watch your water testing.

5g is a nice size as a dedicated Shrimp tank also. Cherry Shrimp and plants would do well. No fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom