Fish id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hiya all my friend just got some fish but he doesn't know the name of them, well he did but he forgot lol, does anyone know what these are called?? Thanks

Attachments

• image-2486078266.jpg
    image-2486078266.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 128
Anywhere from one to two feet. They are pond fish (not to be kept with koi), but basically you should treat them like a koi. They do grow faster than them, so it really isn't a good idea to even have them short term if you won't be able to produce a proper set-up.

bruinsbro1997 said:
They grow big, like ten inches or so.

Ok thanks, I thought they did, I'll tell him to get rid of them, his tank is only about 10gallons.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Anywhere from one to two feet. They are pond fish (not to be kept with koi), but basically you should treat them like a koi. They do grow faster than them, so it really isn't a good idea to even have them short term if you won't be able to produce a proper set-up.

Yeah I did say to him they will finally need a pond, I told him to get rid of them now and get a school of fish. I tried to encourage him to do a fishless cycle but he's goin for the fish in cycle :(

Well, people do what they want with their pets. Lots of people use goldfish, guppies, mollies, etc. to cycle their tank and that can be things like they see them as just feeder fish.

Anyway, try to talk him out of them, but if not, I wouldn't worry too much. They are probably in better hands than in a four-year old's 2g tank.

Yeah I did say to him they will finally need a pond, I told him to get rid of them now and get a school of fish. I tried to encourage him to do a fishless cycle but he's goin for the fish in cycle :(

At least he's listening some to your advice (if he can get rid of the goldfish and give it a proper home). Where did he get it? Did he buy it or pluck it out of a pond? Either way you should convince him to return it NOW, a 10 gal is not good for that fish.

If he's intent on doing a fish-in cycle, at least you can be there to help monitor his tank and teach him how to test the water and be diligent with daily water changes. :D

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Well, people do what they want with their pets. Lots of people use goldfish, guppies, mollies, etc. to cycle their tank and that can be things like they see them as just feeder fish.

Anyway, try to talk him out of them, but if not, I wouldn't worry too much. They are probably in better hands than in a four-year old's 2g tank.

Yeah ur right they do, I think it's causing a fish unnecessary pain :( but yeah alot better than being in a 4yr olds tank lol.

librarygirl said:
At least he's listening some to your advice (if he can get rid of the goldfish and give it a proper home). Where did he get it? Did he buy it or pluck it out of a pond? Either way you should convince him to return it NOW, a 10 gal is not good for that fish.

If he's intent on doing a fish-in cycle, at least you can be there to help monitor his tank and teach him how to test the water and be diligent with daily water changes. :D

He actually bought them from a pet shop, I then gave him the talk about not trusting pet store workers. And yeah I'll make sure he does daily water changes :)

Good news :) got him to take the fish back and I convinced him to do a fishless cycle :) I'm currently cycling mine which is taking the mick at the moment, I'm on day 37 now :( but I'll make sure he does it all properly, he can't get hold of a api master test kit for a few days so I just told him to put a tea spoon of ammonia in his tank and leave it at that til he gets his test kit.

Back
Top Bottom