Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glos, Uk
Posts: 429
Fish id

Hiya all my friend just got some fish but he doesn't know the name of them, well he did but he forgot lol, does anyone know what these are called?? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2486078266.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	45050  
__________________

__________________
Chris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCrazyFishLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,942
Looks like an American shubunkin goldfish.
__________________

__________________
55gPLANTED:Rainbows/Loaches/Garras|30gVIV:Crestie|20gL:Leos|10g:Pearl Fighter|5g:Betta|5gChi:Spark Gourami/Badis|5g:ADF|2.5g:Betta|2.5g:Betta|
TheCrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glos, Uk
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
Looks like an American shubunkin goldfish.
Ok thank you, do u know how big they grow??
__________________
Chris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bruinsbro1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California Coastline
Posts: 5,663
They grow big, like ten inches or so.
__________________
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCrazyFishLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,942
Anywhere from one to two feet. They are pond fish (not to be kept with koi), but basically you should treat them like a koi. They do grow faster than them, so it really isn't a good idea to even have them short term if you won't be able to produce a proper set-up.
__________________
55gPLANTED:Rainbows/Loaches/Garras|30gVIV:Crestie|20gL:Leos|10g:Pearl Fighter|5g:Betta|5gChi:Spark Gourami/Badis|5g:ADF|2.5g:Betta|2.5g:Betta|
TheCrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glos, Uk
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997
They grow big, like ten inches or so.
Ok thanks, I thought they did, I'll tell him to get rid of them, his tank is only about 10gallons.
__________________
Chris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glos, Uk
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
Anywhere from one to two feet. They are pond fish (not to be kept with koi), but basically you should treat them like a koi. They do grow faster than them, so it really isn't a good idea to even have them short term if you won't be able to produce a proper set-up.
Yeah I did say to him they will finally need a pond, I told him to get rid of them now and get a school of fish. I tried to encourage him to do a fishless cycle but he's goin for the fish in cycle
__________________
Chris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCrazyFishLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,942
Well, people do what they want with their pets. Lots of people use goldfish, guppies, mollies, etc. to cycle their tank and that can be things like they see them as just feeder fish.

Anyway, try to talk him out of them, but if not, I wouldn't worry too much. They are probably in better hands than in a four-year old's 2g tank.
__________________
55gPLANTED:Rainbows/Loaches/Garras|30gVIV:Crestie|20gL:Leos|10g:Pearl Fighter|5g:Betta|5gChi:Spark Gourami/Badis|5g:ADF|2.5g:Betta|2.5g:Betta|
TheCrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
Look It Up
 
librarygirl's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris22 View Post
Yeah I did say to him they will finally need a pond, I told him to get rid of them now and get a school of fish. I tried to encourage him to do a fishless cycle but he's goin for the fish in cycle
At least he's listening some to your advice (if he can get rid of the goldfish and give it a proper home). Where did he get it? Did he buy it or pluck it out of a pond? Either way you should convince him to return it NOW, a 10 gal is not good for that fish.

If he's intent on doing a fish-in cycle, at least you can be there to help monitor his tank and teach him how to test the water and be diligent with daily water changes.
__________________
Every living thing is significant.
🐠 Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Community Rules | Custom Site Search
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glos, Uk
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
Well, people do what they want with their pets. Lots of people use goldfish, guppies, mollies, etc. to cycle their tank and that can be things like they see them as just feeder fish.

Anyway, try to talk him out of them, but if not, I wouldn't worry too much. They are probably in better hands than in a four-year old's 2g tank.
Yeah ur right they do, I think it's causing a fish unnecessary pain but yeah alot better than being in a 4yr olds tank lol.
__________________
Chris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCrazyFishLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,942
Just advise him to do lots and lots of water changes.
__________________
55gPLANTED:Rainbows/Loaches/Garras|30gVIV:Crestie|20gL:Leos|10g:Pearl Fighter|5g:Betta|5gChi:Spark Gourami/Badis|5g:ADF|2.5g:Betta|2.5g:Betta|
TheCrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glos, Uk
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl

At least he's listening some to your advice (if he can get rid of the goldfish and give it a proper home). Where did he get it? Did he buy it or pluck it out of a pond? Either way you should convince him to return it NOW, a 10 gal is not good for that fish.

If he's intent on doing a fish-in cycle, at least you can be there to help monitor his tank and teach him how to test the water and be diligent with daily water changes.
He actually bought them from a pet shop, I then gave him the talk about not trusting pet store workers. And yeah I'll make sure he does daily water changes
__________________
Chris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #13
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glos, Uk
Posts: 429
Good news got him to take the fish back and I convinced him to do a fishless cycle I'm currently cycling mine which is taking the mick at the moment, I'm on day 37 now but I'll make sure he does it all properly, he can't get hold of a api master test kit for a few days so I just told him to put a tea spoon of ammonia in his tank and leave it at that til he gets his test kit.
__________________

__________________
Chris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article: What You Should Know About Fish Nutrition Fishguy2727 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 02-01-2012 09:41 AM
Can somone help VOZIE Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 28 09-18-2011 02:08 PM
Learned about water cycling... after I got the fish. nicolebsb Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 6 07-22-2011 10:44 AM
New, Angel Fish Question. Pitluvs Cichlid Discussion 4 07-20-2011 04:19 PM
My fish are staying at the top of the tank.... drhorrible Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 07-14-2011 04:55 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.