Fish ideas....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just visited liveaquaria.com just to look at some fish that my lfs doesn't carry. They have a nice website with lots of information. My question is this...I am close to the end of the cycling of my new 10 gallon tank. This is the tank that I want to move my male betta to also. On the liveaquaria.com site it says that bettas can be in a tank with fish similar in temperment. I am looking at the nanus cory cat and the sparkling gourami right now, mainly for their temperment and the fact that they don't get very big. Any opinions on this combination of fish. I would only get a max of two of each of those types. Thanks in advance.....:D

The gourami would be a bad idea. Anataboids don't get along well. Corys are a good choice for betta roommates. For what it is worth mine are by themselves in tens and I like it, no need for other fish.

My LFS has convinced me that White Cloud Minnows are fantastic Beta tankmates as they get a long well and because they come from the same region (Asia) and the Aquaria purist that runs that store likes keeping fish found the the same part of the world together.

I had white clouds, zebra danios and glass catfish at one point or another with my bettas over the last several years. All did really well with the bettas.

Edit: I also remember when I had glow light and neon tetras in with a betta back in the late 90s. They also lived fruitfully with the betta for a few years.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! When I first got my 10 gallon tank from PetSmart the guy that helped me had told me zebra danios and white clouds, but I think I came back here and someone shot that idea down because they need different water temperature or something! I will keep it in mind though!

I never had any problems with the white clouds and danios living together. I kept the tank temp between 73-75 degrees, which if anything, is a bit low for the betta. They all lived in that tank for about two years, along with 3 glass cats I got as a gift, with no problems.

I also think the lfs I got my fish from actually kept the white clouds and danios in the same tank now that I think about it. Which is the main reason I put those two species together.

But would keeping the temp that low be bad for my betta? He is used to a pretty steady 76-78 degrees....and if I keep the new tank that warm is it especially bad for the danios and white clouds?

I doubt it, if you are worried you can always move the tank temp up a bit. My tank used to be a steady 80 degrees during the summer months. I had no a/c in my house, so it got extremely warm and the fish actually seemed more active when the tank was warm.

Back
Top Bottom