Fish Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SelmerTheGreat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Guys, I'm new to these forums and, well a weeks ago I purchased a 20 gallon starter aquarium kit from a local pet store, i have let it cycle for about 3 weeks now and I think it is time for some fish. I was wondering if these fish would be appropriate for my tank.

5 Tiger Barbs
1 Angelfsih
3 Silver Dollars
1 High-finned Plac
1 Rainbow shark
1 Albino Rainbow shark
1 Dinosaur Bichir
&
1 Bala Shark
Thanks please respond as soon as possible !!!

Pretty much all but the barbs shouldn't be kept in a tank that size

Go to liveaquaria.com and refine to 20 gallon minimum and browse those fish for ideas

SelmerTheGreat said:
Hey Guys, I'm new to these forums and, well a weeks ago I purchased a 20 gallon starter aquarium kit from a local pet store, i have let it cycle for about 3 weeks now and I think it is time for some fish. I was wondering if these fish would be appropriate for my tank.

5 Tiger Barbs
1 Angelfsih
3 Silver Dollars
1 High-finned Plac
1 Rainbow shark
1 Albino Rainbow shark
1 Dinosaur Bichir
&
1 Bala Shark

Yes like others have mentioned the tank will not be big enough to hold all those big fish. I think you'll have to take off the:
Angelfish
Silver dollars
High finned plec
Rainbow shark
Albino rainbow shark
Dinosaur bichir
And the Bala shark

You could do a different type of setup with more community fish , it will open up more options.

Good fish for 20 gallons are tetras, danios, rasboras, etc. You could get a betta fish. Those are my personal favorites. For catfish, you can either get a school of 6+ cory catfish (stick to small ones such as pygmy, dwarf, and panda) or one bristlenose pleco (don't get a common pleco they grow to large). Do you plan on having a planted tank?

Hi and welcome, my replies below in blue.....

How are you cycling? Are you adding an ammonia source? If not and you're just letting the tank run that isn't cycling and it isn't ready for fish. Give this link a read, it has more info:
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

5 Tiger Barbs - No, they are aggressive and need larger groups to minimize aggression and a 20 gal isn't large enough

1 Angelfsih - They can get fairly large including their fins and require more height and room than a 20 gal can provide

3 Silver Dollars - These can grow large too and need a group, a 20 gal is too small

1 High-finned Plac- HiFin Pleco's grow very large and a 20 gal wouldn't even fit him once full grown
1 Rainbow shark - Nope :) Sharks should be in larger tanks depending on type, some need to be alone and some prefer schools, at least a 100 gal usually
1 Albino Rainbow shark - see above
1 Dinosaur Bichir - Can grow to 12"+ and are predatory, so sorry no
&
1 Bala Shark - see above

You can however have a good mix of fish in a 20 gal, just none of what you mentioned above :) For example you could have a school of tetras, rasboras or danios (6-8 depending on type and size), a centerpiece fish like a dwarf or sparkling gourami (not the larger types like Kissing though), some bottom dwellers like a group of 4-6 small corys (panda, pygmy or dwarf). These are just some suggestions; other fish ideas are endler's livebearers, guppies, platys (not ALL of those though :)). Read up on cycling and do some research. Maybe come back with a new list and we can help from there.

Hi and welcome, my replies below in blue.....

You can however have a good mix of fish in a 20 gal, just none of what you mentioned above :) For example you could have a school of tetras, rasboras or danios (6-8 depending on type and size), a centerpiece fish like a dwarf or sparkling gourami (not the larger types like Kissing though), some bottom dwellers like a group of 4-6 small corys (panda, pygmy or dwarf). These are just some suggestions; other fish ideas are endler's livebearers, guppies, platys (not ALL of those though :)). Read up on cycling and do some research. Maybe come back with a new list and we can help from there.

+1 to this. Beautiful advice, Librarygirl!

Back
Top Bottom