Fish in cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the fish in cycle?? Heard about it but don't know about it. Looking at 75-80G on Craigslist emailing a couple and calling hoping I get one!! Gonna hate when I go to college and give them up :/ just little info will help!

Adding fish without being cycled, abd doing pwc's very often to keep the perimeters safe until the tank is cycled

Gboy66 said:
Adding fish without being cycled, abd doing pwc's very often to keep the perimeters safe until the tank is cycled

Which do you prefer and better? Can you do this with SW?

The same principles can be applied, but a SW tank requires much more effort and preparation to do so responsibly. They will almost always do better when allowed to cycle and mature without a rush.

HN1 said:
The same principles can be applied, but a SW tank requires much more effort and preparation to do so responsibly. They will almost always do better when allowed to cycle and mature without a rush.

Thanks once you get it started its easy I heard true?

if you are getting a 75-80 gallon tank I think you will be happier if you do a fishless cycle rather than a fish in cycle. when you do a fish in cycle you will very likely be doing daily water changes of 50%. with a tank this large that adds up to lots of water you are changing out. just my opinion. I just cycled a 90 gallon doing a fishless and cycled a 20 gallon and a 5 gallon doing a fish IN. fish in is fun because you get your fish now, but it does require daily testing and almost daily water changes and even sometimes multiple daily water changes. I didn't mind so much on the 20 gallon, but after doing that I knew that I did not want to be doing that for 90 gallons! I still had a mini cycle on my 90 gallon and ended up doing big water changes for like 4 days in a row - trust me, glad I only have to change that guy out weekly not daily!!

I've done fish in cycles with all my tanks I've had. Fun? Yeah but ALOT of work!! Water changes sometimes 2x's a day!! Testing 2-3x's a day!! If you don't have the time and dedication to go through with it DON'T do it. It's not fair to the fish.

I was on top of my tank like crazy!! Had that water changer ready to go at any given moment. I tested before work,lunch time, after work and before bed. Did water changes and dosed Prime like crazy!! But pulled through it. I do however have to mention I DID use filter media from a healthy very well established tank which help everything along. So if you can get some media that's only going to help the process.

Again you need ALOT of time, patience and dedication to do a fish in cycle, especially for a larger tank.

It can be done though...

Mumma.of.two said:
Ah, Fishie, all your tanks have been fish in cycles....
Why do you think I keep telling you to test and change water. :/

My 20G had reg. cycle but yes you are right about that I didn't know that was the "fish in" cycle I just thought it as a thing to correct your mistakes of something. I'm going just to stick to the regular cycle :) thanks all!!!'

Back
Top Bottom