Fish in Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hubby came home yesterday saying that a coworker from work is soon looking to get rid of her 50 gal tank and offered to GIVE IT to us! We probably won't get it for a month or so, I believe she is re homing her fish with a friend or something.

Either way I was thinking about doing a fish in cycle and would love to learn about it now and see if I want to give it a go. I've searched around the board but haven't found a real step by step guide although I was sure I saw one once. I must just be missing it somewhere??

If someone can help me out and throw some info at me and even some personal experiences it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank, I've read through most of the info there already but not finding a whole lot about fish in cycling.

I did a fish in cycle in my 55 gallon with 5 tiger barbs. They are hardy fish and they showed no stress through the entire process. They like school of 5 or more but the more the merrier. Just with fish in cycles be sure to have a good test kit and do water changes as needed.

Thank you very much!

The Step over to the darkside one was the one I was looking for. I remember coming across it the other week but wasn't planning fish in so skipped over it. I've read most of the others thus far.

Thanks again. :)

Stephen Rollins said:
I would suggest Fishless cycling. It's faster. And doesn't harm any fish. Just my $.02

If you do fishless cycling, your water bill for the next two months will be wayyy cheaper. I did 7 weeks of DAILY 50% pwcs with fish in cycling and ran my water bill up from a normal $35 to about %150. It was such a pain. Just my opinion!

christine2012 said:
If you do fishless cycling, your water bill for the next two months will be wayyy cheaper. I did 7 weeks of DAILY 50% pwcs with fish in cycling and ran my water bill up from a normal $35 to about %150. It was such a pain. Just my opinion!

See Beinifits of Fishless cycle.

I'm not looking to start a debate on fish in versus fish less. Everyone has their thoughts on the process, I want to learn about it so I can form my own.

Water bill isn't an issue here, where I live we have equalized billing for the city. Everyone pays the same amount regardless of how much water you use.

tamtam said:
I'm not looking to start a debate on fish in versus fish less. Everyone has their thoughts on the process, I want to learn about it so I can form my own.

Water bill isn't an issue here, where I live we have equalized billing for the city. Everyone pays the same amount regardless of how much water you use.

Understood. I just thought I'd mention it since I had a really hard time with my stubborn cycle. Not trying to debate either. Just wanted to share. +1 for doing research on both beforehand!

Back
Top Bottom