Fish in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trkchezz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok folks here another cycle post...

Alright here goes
Step 1: fill with water
Step 2: added prime
Step 3: added minnows
Step 4: all fish die less then 2hours.
Step 5: Check water parameters
0-0-0
Step 6: ask the experts...(you guys)

Alright guys what did I do wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok folks here another cycle post...

Alright here goes
Step 1: fill with water
Step 2: added prime
Step 3: added minnows
Step 4: all fish die less then 2hours.
Step 5: Check water parameters
0-0-0
Step 6: ask the experts...(you guys)

Alright guys what did I do wrong?

What kind of minnows?

What was the water temp?

What was your acclimation process?

The answer could be in these 3 questions. ;)

Red belly? From petsmart

82 degrees

5 min float then in tank

Not clear on temp requirements but 82 is up there IMO(for fish).
The 5 minute float did what besides get them used to water temp?
The acclimation process is much more about allowing your fish to adjust from th water they are in to the water you are going to put them in.
Things like GH,ph,KH are far more important for good acclimation then just getting them to proper temp(which is also important.)

Well for one thing you did not cycle the tank. That means that there were no bacteria in the filter to process the fish waste. Do you understand anything about cycling the tank?
Also, I think your temp was way too high for minnows. They are usually a cooler water fish. Please read posts about cycling before adding any more fish.

Well for one thing you did not cycle the tank. That means that there were no bacteria in the filter to process the fish waste. Do you understand anything about cycling the tank?
Also, I think your temp was way too high for minnows. They are usually a cooler water fish. Please read posts about cycling before adding any more fish.

yeah i know its not cycled, I'm doing fish in.

I lowered the temp and added 6 more, lets see if they survive until tomorrow

With all due respect, the tank not being cycled has nothing to do with the death of these fish. Fish in cycling has been done for hundreds of years so it's not the end of the world that the tank wasn't cycled when these fish were added.:nono:
Based on what the OP stated, the temp and acclimation method was what killed these fish. :whistle:

Red belly? From petsmart

82 degrees

5 min float then in tank

See, just 3 questions. ;)
Dace usually prefer cooler water ( 70-75 degrees depending on the type of Dace) so the temp didn't help.
Acclimation should have been more elaborate. Floating the bag for 15-20 minutes then opening the bag into a bucket ( rather than in the bag) and drip acclimating the fish. ( Colder water fish tend to do better with a slower acclimation than warmer water fish. )

If your next set of minnows do survive, you are going to be somewhat limited in the other fish you can add in with them once the tank has cycled. You should not mix cooler water and warmer water fish together as one will be suffering.

Hope this helps. (y)

See, just 3 questions. ;)
Dace usually prefer cooler water ( 70-75 degrees depending on the type of Dace) so the temp didn't help.
Acclimation should have been more elaborate. Floating the bag for 15-20 minutes then opening the bag into a bucket ( rather than in the bag) and drip acclimating the fish. ( Colder water fish tend to do better with a slower acclimation than warmer water fish. )

If your next set of minnows do survive, you are going to be somewhat limited in the other fish you can add in with them once the tank has cycled. You should not mix cooler water and warmer water fish together as one will be suffering.

Hope this helps. (y)

Didn't think about the temp, wasn't going to keep the minnows. Sending to a friend for his bass after the cycle is complete.

Didn't think about the temp, wasn't going to keep the minnows. Sending to a friend for his bass after the cycle is complete.

In all honesty, I doubt the fish will still be alive through the cycle. Dace/ minnows are not the hardiest of fish to cycle tanks with. In nature, they are the "canary in the coal mine" a.k.a. first fishes to show a drop in water quality. To help expedite your cycling, should these fish not survive, bury them in your gravel, in a spot you can remember, and watch how quickly they will decompose and start the ammonia cycling. Once the ammonia & nitrite levels have returned to 0, remove what is left ( if anything) of the fish. Once you remove any remains, you can start adding fish to the tank. ( Do a partial water change as well. Depending on the clarity of the water will tell you how much you need to do.) Do this relatively soon after so there is an ammonia source to keep the bacteria bed active. (y)

The above is as "old school" as it gets :brows::lol: but if you want to see some fish swimming instead of just water in a tank with dead fish in it, I suggest a small school of Zebra Danios. These fish have been known to withstand some of the harsher conditions of cycling. Best to also have a bottle of PRIME handy as well. The PRIME will detoxify the ammonia and nitrites making the tank safer for the fish while allowing the bacteria to utilize the non toxic forms of ammonia and nitrites for food.

Hope this helps (y)

Morning update

Fish survived the night
0-0-0(expected)
Water temp 75
Fish were eating fine

Thanks

Just hope they create enough ammonia to add the fish I want lol

Thanks

Just hope they create enough ammonia to add the fish I want lol

The thing you need to remember about "fish in" cycling is that once the nitrites go back down to 0, it means that there is enough nitrifying bacteria present to handle the bioload present at that moment. So say you start with 3 small fish and you cycle the aquarium, you have only cycled the aquarium for 3 small fish so you shouldn't add a lot of new fish at one time or else your tank will go through another cycling period. But say you removed the 3 fish at the end and replaced them with 4 new fish of similar size and biological output, you have only really added 1 fish as far as the bacteria bed is concerned. Make sense?
The main key to a successful aquarium is the slow introduction of new life. This will allow your bacteria bed to grow larger, faster, before any harmful levels of ammonia or nitrite can happen. (y)

Yeah I knew all of that, I'm doing small introduction once I decide what fish to get.

I don't think it was the change in water parameters, aside from temp, unless your petsmart has a different water source. When I get fish from places with the same source water as my town, I just float for 20 minutes for temperature. I would say it wasn't enough time acclimated to temperature combined with transport stress and the far-too-high temperature for minnows. (Just my .02)

Yeah I knew all of that, I'm doing small introduction once I decide what fish to get.

Just making sure. ;) (y) It seems that some here don't truly understand what "the cycle" really means. :whistle: Was just making sure you did. (y)

So, nothing else to say but: Happy cycling. :D

Back
Top Bottom