Fish-In Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohheyitsnoah12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm almost a week in to cycling my new 65g tank containing 6 Glofish tetras. I'm not trying to breed, but I do know the animals will most likely spawn a couple Ninos. I have some cycling questions and fish sex questions I would love to get answered by you fine aquarists.

Tank dimensions 36L 18D 24T

I ultimately want to add 1 (m or f?) angelfish, 5 (2m 3f) rainbows, 2 (2m? platys, (1m) swordtail, 8 guppies and 4 (not sure how many I need here) corys. This may see a bit ambitious, but I think I can make it work as all the fish are compatible except the angel and bows may give some trouble.

How long should I cycle the tank with the tetras in it before adding my next fish?

What fish should I add next and so on?

I am making gallon water changes every other day and am going to make my first 7 gallon water change when a week comes up here.

Let me know if you need any additional information or if you've noticed something I've missed. :)

Thanks!

The levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate should serve as your guide for cycling your tank. When the ammonia and nitrite are consistently 0 (zero) and the nitrate is greater than 10-20 (depending on the water change schedule and bioload), then it is safe to add more fish. Starting from scratch, this can take 4-6 weeks.
I would purchase a test kit and do the testing yourself rather than relying on the pet store to do the testing. The API Freshwater Master Test Kit is often recommended on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks man! I'll go out and purchase that!

Do you know what fish I should add first out of the ones I said I wanted?

The levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate should serve as your guide for cycling your tank. When the ammonia and nitrite are consistently 0 (zero) and the nitrate is greater than 10-20 (depending on the water change schedule and bioload), then it is safe to add more fish. Starting from scratch, this can take 4-6 weeks.
I would purchase a test kit and do the testing yourself rather than relying on the pet store to do the testing. The API Freshwater Master Test Kit is often recommended on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks man! I'll go out and get that :)

Also do you know what fish I should add first and so on out of the ones I said I wanted??

Tetras won't have babies. Not easily.

Your livebearers will if you have females, but Angel and Rainbows will eat babies.

I'd introduce the Rainbows last ?

Cories ? At least 6. More is better but I love Cories. What species ? I have C sterbai and C pygmaeus currently.

522f58ae835634ab395c2af0b2a5d695.jpg
fb4e33b5ec9b299706615cb27dcf14c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tetras won't have babies. Not easily.

Your livebearers will if you have females, but Angel and Rainbows will eat babies.

I'd introduce the Rainbows last ?

Cories ? At least 6. More is better but I love Cories. What species ? I have C sterbai and C pygmaeus currently.

522f58ae835634ab395c2af0b2a5d695.jpg
fb4e33b5ec9b299706615cb27dcf14c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at the skunk and Sterbas corys but I wasn't sure on what species. My knowledge of bottom feeders isn't very wide. Do you recommend the ones you have? Do they work well for you and would they work well for what I want?

Back
Top Bottom