Fish in cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My current stats are
Ph: 8.4
Ammonium:0
Nitrite 5 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm

I have had fish in the tank for 1 and a half weeks and was wondering of my cycle was still going alright.

Looks like its progressing nicely. The nitrIte is very high though. High nitrite won't effect the cycle but since it's a fish in cycle you need to do some water changes to bring it back down to a safer level of 0.25-0.5ppm.

Fish In Cycling

My current stats are
Ph: 8.4
Ammonium:0
Nitrite 5 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm

I have had fish in the tank for 1 and a half weeks and was wondering of my cycle was still going alright.

Hello jack...

You can be the best judge. Just monitor the water, by testing it daily. If your test shows a trace of ammonia or nitrites, then you need to remove 25 to 30 percent of the tank water and replace it with pure, treated tap water.

Test every day and when several tests read zero for ammonia and nitrites, then you need to add a few more hardy fish. Just keep testing daily and removing the water when you have positive tests for the above pollutants.

Keep testing and changing the water and adding fish until the tank is fully stocked.

It's really that simple.

B

Ok I'll probably do a water change later today and based on this info when do you guys think the cycle will be complete

It will take more than one water change to get the nitrite low enough.
It's hard to say, the nitrite phase it usually a bit longer than ammonia so your roughly half way.

My stats today are
Ph 8
Ammo 0
Nitrite 2 ppm
Nitrate 5-20 ppm

Fish in cycle and haven lost one yet :knock on wood:

When should I be able to add fish I'm planning on doing a 25% water change later today

Fish in Cycling

Hello jack...

You need to test the tank water every day. When a test shows even a trace of
ammonia or nitrites, change out 25 to 30 percent of the tank water and replace it with pure, treated tap water.

When several tests, say four or five show no trace of the above pollutants, you can safely add a few more hardy fish, say another four or five smaller ones like Zebra Danios, Platys or Guppies if you prefer "Livebearers". When you add fish, you need to continue to test the tank water daily and remove and replace the specified amount of water.

Keep doing these steps until the tank is fully stocked.

Keep pluggin',

B

Looks like the nitrites still too high. You're going to have to change more than 25% of the water to bring it down. One 50% change will bring it down to 1ppm. A second will bring it down to .5ppm and a third .25ppm which is what you should aim for everyday. If nitrite jumps that high in 24 hours you'll need to do water changes morning and night to keep it under control.

I'm not trying to argue but just tell me why I need to do water changes if the bacteria I want feed on the nitrites. More nitrates mean more bacteria that can develop and then I will be able to process more nitrites? Why isn't this the case?

I have never measured it, so I don't have exact numbers. Based on the journals I've read on the subject, they don't really give an exact amount either, but the amount is minute, far less than you'd put in for Ich treatment.

Here's a snippet from a good writeup on the subject from Salt | The Skeptical Aquarist (there's a lot of other great info about salt on that link as well, so it's a great read if you have time)
How much salt should you be adding to counteract nitrite? It is the chloride ion of salt that is effective, not the sodium ion. In order to be effective, the chloride-to-nitrite ratio should be five to one. So if nitrite tests at 1 ppm, you should add enough salt (as a temporary measure) to give a chloride level of 5 ppm. This corresponds to about 8.5 ppm of NaCl (table salt), very little — a fifteenth of a teaspoon or just a pinch — in ten gallons. In fact, your water quite likely already carries this much salt, without any extra dosing at all; at any rate, your normal partial water changes will dilute out additional salt after the crisis has passed.

Ok thanks for the link but I was wondering if any one could tell me about how long the rest of the cycle will take.

Ammo .25
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 10
Ph 8
Fish have been in for 6 complete days with 3 feedings a day

jackwagon said:
Ok thanks for the link but I was wondering if any one could tell me about how long the rest of the cycle will take.

Ammo .25
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 10
Ph 8
Fish have been in for 6 complete days with 3 feedings a day

Edit: fish have been in 8 days

Stats today are
.25 ammo
0 nitrite and nitrate

These seem off, should I retest?

What type of test kit are you using? If it's one of the stick types, I would recommend ditching those and picking up an API Master Freshwater Kit. The sticks can be fairly inaccurate.

I have the API freshwater master test kit and I follow the directions it comes with I'll test again here in the next few minutes and I'll post the results

These are the pictures of my tests I've the past month can anyone give me any information?

Attachments

• image-808199120.jpg
    image-808199120.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 41
  • image-1798546267.jpg
    image-1798546267.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 40
  • image-1248441816.jpg
    image-1248441816.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image-1454995979.jpg
    image-1454995979.jpg