Fish in cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What fish could i put in a 10 g then?

2-3 platy
5-6 few guppies
7 endlers(similar to guppy)
6-7 ember tetras, chilli rasbora or celestial pearl danios - schoolers
a single betta, male or female
single DG or perhaps 2 sparkling gourami - not 100% on the pair of sparkling
scarlet badis, maybe even a pair of these
a few african dwarf frogs
you could add snails or shrimp to most of the above set up though research first as some of the above fish would probably eat most shrimp

The sparklers will be fine as long as they are not two males. Even then they are not nearly as problematic as other species. Alot also depends on your regular maintenance though. Are you going to do weekly water changes of atleast 20%? If so you can fit a few more micro fish but again. It comes down to how much maintenance you want to do. The more stocked the more work and the easier it is for your tank to start having problems.

As far as neons are concerned, I have seen them in 10g tanks and I personally don't see an issue with it. Some people disagree, to each their own. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. If you are able to find fish like ember tetras or chili rasboras, for go it. They are great little guys who do very well in 10g tank. There are a good share of other fish too. But, as fish keepers, we don't all agree on things like tank size. I also have no issue with a dg in a 10g tank, but some people do. As for the betta and neons, if a betta is community friendly, it is going to be fine with neons.
As for the fish-in cycling, it can be done with almost any amount of the stock in there, just keep in mind that more fish equals more water changes during the cycle. For schooling fish, most will be fine if you start with like 3 or 4. I have kept plenty of under sized schools in quarantine or while waiting for another shipment and I have not had an issue with them stressing out and dying. With neons, I don't think it's a concern for this case.
If you are more comfortable with fish besides neons, look at green neons, micro rasbora, celestial pearl danios, ember tetras, jellybean tetras, scarlet tetras, and least killifish. In addition to those mentioned by others, there are also dwarf cories, Asian stone catfish, croaking gouramis, pygmy sunfish, pygmy killifish, and shell dwelling cichlids to name a few. Of course, most of these nano fish are going to be more expensive and harder to find for the average aquarist and would probably need to be special ordered. I have done a small tank with just guppies and it was fun and colorful.

EDIT: Sorry, but mollies get too big for a 10g tank. They can easily reach 4 inches.

As far as neons are concerned, I have seen them in 10g tanks and I personally don't see an issue with it. Some people disagree, to each their own. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. If you are able to find fish like ember tetras or chili rasboras, for go it. They are great little guys who do very well in 10g tank. There are a good share of other fish too. But, as fish keepers, we don't all agree on things like tank size. I also have no issue with a dg in a 10g tank, but some people do. As for the betta and neons, if a betta is community friendly, it is going to be fine with neons.
As for the fish-in cycling, it can be done with almost any amount of the stock in there, just keep in mind that more fish equals more water changes during the cycle. For schooling fish, most will be fine if you start with like 3 or 4. I have kept plenty of under sized schools in quarantine or while waiting for another shipment and I have not had an issue with them stressing out and dying. With neons, I don't think it's a concern for this case.
If you are more comfortable with fish besides neons, look at green neons, micro rasbora, celestial pearl danios, ember tetras, jellybean tetras, scarlet tetras, and least killifish. In addition to those mentioned by others, there are also dwarf cories, Asian stone catfish, croaking gouramis, pygmy sunfish, pygmy killifish, and shell dwelling cichlids to name a few. Of course, most of these nano fish are going to be more expensive and harder to find for the average aquarist and would probably need to be special ordered. I have done a small tank with just guppies and it was fun and colorful.

EDIT: Sorry, but mollies get too big for a 10g tank. They can easily reach 4 inches.
What if i had 5-6 neon tetras with 1 molly?

Tetras yes, molly no. See absoluteangel's post.

You could start with 3-4 neons to start the cycle. Just go into it knowing the potential work involved of keeping fish safe during cycling. Once the tank is cycled you can fill out the school with a few more neons.

i asked someone and that person said a molly is okay with 5-6 neon tetras? What fish could i put in instead of the molly. I would just have a all neon tetra tank but neon tetras can't be in a cycling tank because they are sensitive to poor water conditions.

tamtam said:
I'm not sure why someone would think neons do not swim much. They are extremely active fish and again are not the best idea for a 10 gallon. If you put a school in a ten on their own it is over stocked, adding platy on top is just overload. I know everyone seems to think that neons are these little fish and there for they must be great for little places but they aren't.

I have a school in my 20 gallon and next to my harliquin rasbora(another poor fish being stuck into tiny spots) they are the most active fish in the tank. They use the whole thing, top middle and bottom.

Platy are also messy messy fish. Mine are little poop factories. 3 at most in a 10 gallon will fully stock it. 10 gallons really isn't that big you need to realize. Most fish are not suitable for this size tank. The smaller you go the more water quality issues you will have as well and it's added stress on your fish they just don't need. If you are really stuck on neons then you really need a bigger tank to be fair to them and their needs.

Platy are not schooling fish but they are social and like to have company of their own kind. 3 is a good number to start with.

If you really want schooling fish you should look into the nano fish that have been mentioned they are the most ideal fish for this tank set up. You can happily keep a school of 6 or 7 ember tetras, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danios.

My neons kinda just stay in an area and swim around in that area until they feel threatened

Back
Top Bottom