Fish-in Cycling Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'll want to keep it at .25 to keep Pontus safe. Go ahead and do 50% water change. and check it again tomorrow.

All you have to remember is anytime your Ammonia or Nitrite gets above .25ppm you need to do a WC. You never want either above .25ppm. Then daily testing and your good.

Okay. I will get right on that first thing tomorrow morning. I've been away all day so I didn't get back in time to do that.

I just checked his water and it's still .50 ppm. I'll make sure it doesn't get to that again.

Also, I'm going away on a small weekend vacation on Saturday morning and be back Sunday afternoon/evening.

He should be fine during that time, right? I won't need to do a water change within those few days unless something crazy happens and my ammonia levels spike way up. I know he will be fine for food as goldfish can go several days without eating.

But, if it is a potential problem, I have a few people that I trust in my room and with my fish to take care of him. I can portion out the amount of food to feed him in the morning when I usually feed him and I can give them a step by step list on testing the ammonia and nitrite levels and they can text or call me to let me know what they are. I can also show him/her how to do a PWC when I do it in the morning.

Is thit way too paranoid of me? Or is that what I should do?

Probably better not to have him fed at all while you are away. He will certainly be fine, and that will help keep the water cleaner.

If you do have a reliable friend who can do a water change, why not just get them to do a big water change anyhow? Whether levels are high or not? No need to test. That way, it's less bother for them, and keeps everything simple.

I would take a few extra minutes on saturday morning to do a water change, 75% to be safe. Then he should be fine til you return on sunday. Check your ammonia and nitrites before the water change and when you get home. Shouldn't have any problems.

I have severe trust issues when it comes to allowing anyone to do anything to my tanks. I get onto my boyfriend for looking at my fish wrong! When I let him feed the fish, I measure out the right amount of food, put it in his hand and that's all he can put in. I would not trust anyone to feed or do water changes for such a short trip.

If you do have a reliable friend who can do a water change, why not just get them to do a big water change anyhow? Whether levels are high or not? No need to test. That way, it's less bother for them, and keeps everything simple.

I think I'll just do it myself. I trust someone to feed a portioned out food, but when it comes to water changes, maybe not, now that I think about it. There's so many things that could go wrong that I don't want to go wrong. I've gone through so much with this little guy and it would be heartbreaking to come home after 1 day to find out that he died because my friend vacuumed him up with the hose or something like that.

I guess I'm just being a worrying parent. :D But if it were for a longer period of time, I probably would have someone look after him that I have "trained" to do it the right way.

I would take a few extra minutes on saturday morning to do a water change, 75% to be safe. Then he should be fine til you return on sunday. Check your ammonia and nitrites before the water change and when you get home. Shouldn't have any problems.

I have severe trust issues when it comes to allowing anyone to do anything to my tanks. I get onto my boyfriend for looking at my fish wrong! When I let him feed the fish, I measure out the right amount of food, put it in his hand and that's all he can put in. I would not trust anyone to feed or do water changes for such a short trip.

I think I'll do this. Since it's such a short trip, I know he'll be fine for over 24 hours without food. I'll do the 75% water change before I leave and check the water before I change the water.

Back
Top Bottom