Fish-in cycling - help with results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ataline

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Fluval edge (6 gallon) which was set up with live plants (on birch wood) from my LFS's tank. 5 neon tetras were added a couple of days after tank set-up.

I've been a bit obsessed with water testing, given the fish are in there. I'm wondering what my results actually mean though, given I've been doing frequent water changes:

13th July (24 hours after fish were put in the tank) - evening
pH 7
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Water changed (approx 20%)

14th July (evening)
pH 7
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0

15th July (morning)
Ammonia >0.25ppm (but less than 0.5)
Nitrite 0
Water changed

16th July (evening)
pH 7
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite <0.25ppm
Water changed

17th July (evening)
pH 7
Ammonia <0.25ppm
Nitrite <0.25ppm
Nitrate 0

18th July (morning)
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Water changed

19th July (evening)
pH 6.8
Ammonia <0.25ppm
Nitrite <0.25ppm
Nitrate <5ppm
Water changed

20th July (evening)
pH 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <5ppm

21st July (morning)
pH 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <5ppm.

Questions:
1) Has my tank cycled
2) Am I changing the water too frequently
3) How many times do I need to test the water?

Thank you for your help.

Hi. It's tricky with fish in. You don't want them to suffer from high ammonia and nitrites but the filter needs high enough ammonia levels to fully cycle.
Providing your ammonia and nitrites stay at zero I would lay off the water changes until the nitrites have reached 20. Then do a 50% water change to reduce nitrates to 10. In my mind this is a good routine. If the ammonia and nitrites remain at zero then you are cycled for the amount of fish in the tank. Adding more fish sometimes causes a mini-cycle when the bacteria loading in the filter has to grow to cope with the additional waste. More frequent water changes are required for a short length of time.
Until you are confident that the tank is cycled then daily testing is not excessive. My tank, which is well cycled, has the nitrates tested weekly to determine how much of a water change it requires but I only test ammonia and nitrites about once a month. The tank has been set up for well over a year now so I am fairly confident in its stability.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks ScotJudd!

I'll find it difficult to not do a water change - I like the reassurance of it!

Am not planning to add more fish - I think the 5 neon tetras are plenty (and in fact from further reading, the tank is too small for them, so am looking at getting more appropriate inhabitants)

Back
Top Bottom