Fish in cycling question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I believe I am having my nitrite spike, I had really high nitrite levels today and yesterday. i did multiple wc's yesterday and today, first testing yesterday nitrite was 1-2 then wc at 5:45 and it was at .5-1, then I did another WC at 8 and nitrite was 2ppm at the test this morning then a WC at 11:30 this morning. Tested at 1:30 today and it was .5-1, them WC at 1:50, tested at 6:40 and it was down too .25. And i waited atleast an hour when i did my re-tests to check levels. My nitrates have gone down some, I can tell for sure the color of nitrate is in the middle of yellow and orange, but not close to either one, so nitrates have gone down from being an obvious 5ppm. But my question is my ammonia (to me looked like it was at 0) looked to be at 0 but then again it looks a tad bit darker but it definitely didn't have the lightish green tint that it has been when it's been at .25. What does the ammonia look to be to you guys? If you have any questions about my cycle feel free, I have all
Of my testing records at hand, just don't wanna type it all out unless I have too lol.

Attachments

• image-2406306368.jpg
    image-2406306368.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 52
Ooh... This makes me very very excited... :) I'm
Hoping this is meaning one step closer to being cycled! Now I just need to wait on nitrites to drop
to zero and nitrate to be the only thing that's showing up on the charts correct?

And one more thing... Should the decreasing nitrates be something I should be concerned about? Or do you guys think it's just from doing the multiple WC's each day when I was only doing one WC a day before this spike?

Well the nitrates are going to go down by the percentage of water you change out. They are just the end result of the nitrogen cycle (at least in this context) so their levels really aren't important as long as you don't let them get too high.

good to see that everything is going well , it seems as if your on your way to owning a cycled tank soon!

So far so good, my params are still showing next to no ammonia, still having nitrite spikes (today was up to 2ppm) but ammonia seems to be dropping nicely. Hoping this continues and that I'm not to far off from being cycled! Also hoping once this tank cycles it will make cycling my upgrade tank (still havent went to get it so I still have no idea how big it is) easier! :)

No need to add snails yet without fish.

Did you use live sand?
Did you use ocean water?
Do you have live rock?

Shaker said:
No need to add snails yet without fish.

Did you use live sand?
Did you use ocean water?
Do you have live rock?

In the tank I'm cycling (a 10g) I only have two platies in and probably wont be adding any fish to at all. The upgrade tank I mentioned I haven't even got yet, it will still have to be cleaned and cycled.

Ahhh okay. For fowlr tanks I add live sand, ocean water, live rock and let it sit for two weeks. I usually don't get a cycle and probably could add fish straight in on day one. However I have a great lfs with cured live rock. And live a block away from a reef so the water I buy for the lfs comes from a good source.

Another note you have a small aquarium so your levels will be less forgiven.

Back
Top Bottom