Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2017, 06:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish less cycling stall?

Hi! I have a 20g tank cycling now for 5 weeks. My ammonia goes down very nicely from 4ppm to 0.25ppm in 24h. I have had nitrites up to 2-5ppm for 2 weeks now, but when I test for nitrites they are always 5 to 10ppm after 5 minutes... however if I leave the test tube it becomes red within a few hours... does that count as a reading?
It seems that things have been the same for 2 weeks now... my ph and temperature seem stable (ph 7.6).
I did a 50% water change 10 days ago and added some food but still no nitrates.
I have added 2 moss balls and some duckweed to see if that helps but no change...
Any advice? Should I keep adding ammonia and waiting?

Old 07-18-2017, 04:25 AM   #2

The ammonia is fine. I did make that mistake at the beginning but I rinse everything filter included with dechlorinated water and started over. I don't have a heater may be is that... thank you!

Old 07-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

The nitrite-to-nitrate conversion is the longer part of the cycling process. Be patient.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
The nitrite-to-nitrate conversion is the longer part of the cycling process. Be patient.

Yes! i am getting impatient now! Thanks!

Tags
cycling, fish, stall, tall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com