Fish Owies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering what exactly a fish owie looks like. A fish of mine that i just bought had unfortunitly been picked on (( I think atleast )) And is missing half a pectoral fin. there are also other different things and I wasnt sure if they were cuts or if they could be like something..contagious... and such.. 8O

Do they look like cuts and nicks or do they look like raw open sores? A lot of fish that have flowing fins are subject to fin nipping abuse. Diseases usually look like the flesh is rotting, or is covered in a film of some kind. Either way they are going to be subject to bacterial infections. You might want to add a little salt to the water. They sell some for fw tanks that you add for disease prevention.

I'm sorry, you didn't mention if your tank was fw or brackish. Maybe you already have salt in it? They do sell antibiotics to treat them with also.

It probably is a red sore on the body of the fish and need to be treated immediately if it is going to survive.

Its not red.. its white kinda.. Its a freshwater tank. The little guy isnt in great shape. Im having to feed him individually and wait till he gets something to eat cause he has trouble competing with my other fish who dont have the whole Missing fin problem :( . But its just basicly little white slashes on his tail fin and his other pectoral fin aswell as on his little body.

It could be scratches from other fish like you said his fin was bitten off.

I may be wrong here and I hope someone will come by and correct me if so but, if you can, maybe you could try to pick up some MelaFix. It's an all natural antibacterial medicine that may help. Just keep up with the water changes and hope for the best.

It may be best to isolate him in his own tank if you can....for meds and feeding purposes...(this will allow him "peace and quiet" while he recuperates). HTH!

If you cannot get another tank, get a breeding net and separate the poor fish. I know the tank is small and that fact is adding to the fish getting picked on. Add some Melafix and a teaspoon of aquarium grade salt/gal.

He died this morning.. Thanks for the help though. Ive been changing the water and such. I also am getting a new tank for my bday which is comming up soon and valentines day so my fish will have nice separate fit places to be. Im also going this thursday to get the all the water testing supplies. My water is a slight bit acidic so i need to work on that too. I spent all my free periods today reading up on aquariums and brought some books home. Im really gonna try to prevent this from happening again. I'm not a cruel person i swear v.v;; x.x;;;

Yeah i guess your right. I only planned to lower it just a little bit. And do it very very very gradually and slowly.

Back
Top Bottom